Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tehealy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2013, 12:40 PM
    Basement storm flooding
    Home was built in 1954 and does not seem to have a clean out trap for the storm drain. Clear water is coming through a floor drain.

What are my options?
    Would a sump pump solve the issue?
    scott53715 Posts: 165, Reputation: 10

Apr 25, 2013, 01:36 PM
    Most floor drains have a back-flow prevention mechanism that stops water from coming up through your floor drain. This needs to be fixed. A sump pump will pump out the water once it reaches the sump pit, but stopping it from coming through the floor drain, will be cheaper and better. In my area we are having people that have never had water problems have problems. Your sewer line may be obstructed or cracked allowing surface (ground water) to enter your system too. My first step would be to get a drain cleaning service over to check out your lines and the floor drain.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 25, 2013, 02:27 PM
    Hi Tehealy

Check out the FLOOD GUARD... may be a good option for you in your situation... ;)

Flood Guards For Floor Drains - check valves to prevent flooding

Let me know if you have any questions, OK?

Mark
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 25, 2013, 05:22 PM
    Are you on city sewer or septic?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement flooding [ 2 Answers ]

Can you explain why a simple ball in a basement drain can keep water from coming into a house?

Water coming out of basement shower and flooding basement [ 4 Answers ]

I purchased a home about 2 months ago, and immediately there were flooding issues in the basement. At first I wasn't sure why the carpet in the middle of the basement was getting soaked. Now I see that the water is coming from the shower drain in the basement bathroom. This happened after the...

Basement flooding [ 1 Answers ]

Water seeps into my basement during and after heavy rains. And actually the water in the basement sort of seeps out of the basement after 12 to 24 hours of the end of the rain. Is this due to a rising water table, or to water build up in the dirt filled area around the foundation walls? Will...

Basement Flooding [ 3 Answers ]

We have a home which was built 6 years ago and we have a basement with a sump pump and backup sump pump. 9 months ago we had flooding due to the main sump going out. The backup could not keep up with the water flow. We had our original plumber come in (and builder) and he replaced the sump. ...

Basement Flooding [ 3 Answers ]

Just moved into a 100 year old home in New England, I had an alarm installed with a "flood" option... The alarm went off one early morning and I went downstairs to check the problem and found the basement was covered in two inches of water thanks to Spring thaw and a good deal of rain. It all...

View more questions Search