Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 28, 2013, 02:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jordii View Post
    OMG woman; why are you so combative in every post you do.

Read my post; it says that the approx minimum wage for servers where I live is $8.00; not the general minimum wage. This is the second time you haven't read something I have posted correctly and then commented incorrectly.

I do live in Canada but I sure hope it isn't in the same province or even time zone as you!
    Servers in Canada receive the minimum wage of that province, nothing less, and there's no province where the minimum wage is $8.

I read what you wrote, and what you wrote isn't right, that's why I commented.

I'm not being combative at all, I'm simply stating the facts, and the facts are, no one, not even servers, work for less than minimum wage in Canada.
    jordii Posts: 28, Reputation: 3

Apr 28, 2013, 03:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Servers in Canada receive the minimum wage of that province, nothing less, and there's no province where the minimum wage is $8.

I read what you wrote, and what you wrote isn't right, that's why I commented.

I'm not being combative at all, I'm simply stating the facts, and the facts are, no one, not even servers, work for less than minimum wage in Canada.

Fine, right, whatever.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 28, 2013, 03:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jordii View Post
    Fine, right, whatever.
    Look, bottom line is, tip or don't tip, it's up to you.

You were given an answer to this a long time ago, and didn't want to accept it. In fact, you posted that it wasn't a viable answer.

So, here's a new answer.

Learn to cook and eat at home if you don't want to follow etiquette and tip accordingly when going out for a meal.

It's really not brain surgery. :(
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Apr 28, 2013, 05:39 PM
    As the owner of a service business and a gentleman of the old school, let me offer a somewhat different perspective. I worked for many companies before going out on my own, including some sit-down restaurants. Tips and gratuities are never required (those businesses that add the tip into the bill are trying to make an additional profit from the processing charges) and should be offered only for acceptable service.

Etiquette requires only that if a gratuity is offered, it should be in the range of 10-15% of the total bill. Restauranteurs that depend on tips to pay their employees (yes there are too many) also depend on applicants that are too lazy or too cowardly to fend for themselves. "The only job they can get" is a myth. Anyone with any gumption (old school, remember?) at all can make a living on the internet or crafting or providing services in their neighborhoods.

Nonetheless, there are those that prefer to work harder. If their service is acceptable, a gratuity should be provided comparable to the quality of their service. Do examine the bill and determine if the "tip" category matches your expectations.
    jordii Posts: 28, Reputation: 3

Apr 28, 2013, 06:05 PM
    Thank you.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2013, 06:10 PM
    Personally... the cheap SOB's that feel they have the right to stiff the hard working servers when they provide good service... really need to work as a waiter / Waitress sometime. It would be an eye opening experience for them.

They really work their butts off and unless they give BAD service should be tipped. And at least in the USA... most of their income is in tips.

Look at it this way... if a customer screws you... you WILL remember them... trust me.. you will.. just as you will remember a good tipper who you will go the extra mile for next time. and would you trust someone you have screwed before, maybe more than once with your food. Odds are they won't do anything... but then... how can you really know for sure?

See... I worked as a waiter for a while in college... I know what its like to do that job.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tipping [ 9 Answers ]

So I am now three weeks away from my wedding. We have everything lined up. I am hoping for nice weather as I am having at my brothers home. We have a tent but I am hoping the weather is nice so we do not have to use the sides.The ceremony and dinner reception are at the same location. The...

Tipping the boss [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know if it is proper etiquette not to tip your hairdresser if she is the owner? I am a regular client (WEEKLY) and do not feel that I should tip her because she owns the place. She is the one making the prices and so on. I will, however, tip her if she does me a favor like squeeze...

Tipping in Salons [ 1 Answers ]

So normally when I get my hair cut I leave a decent tip (I have really long hair) but this time when I'm going to the salon I'm getting a haircut, chemical treatments, and I am also getting my eyebrows shaped. The haircut is about $60, the chemical treatment is about $25, and the eyesbrows are...

Tipping etiquette [ 14 Answers ]

Hello Everyone, I went to a hair salon and had my hair straightened.. I paid $300 plus $70 tip.. 3 days later my hair was wavy again so I had the stylist re-do it . She didn't charge me for the service again but she did charge me for the hair supplies which came to $25.00. Should I have tipped...

Tipping [ 6 Answers ]

Should I tip the guy installing carpet at my house. If so, how much? He doesn't own the business, he's the installer for the company from which I purchased the carpet.

View more questions Search