Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2013, 02:43 PM
    Panic on the left, aka KDS
    Seems the Koch brothers are interested buying some newspapers via a purchase of the Tribune Company. One WaPo columnist wonders What would the Koch brothers do to the Los Angeles Times? Perhaps the most ridiculous line is “Given the nature of the Kochs’ investment in grass-roots activism and politics, that doesn’t bode well for the kind of fact-based journalism that most American newspapers strive to practice.”

Honestly I didn't know most papers here practiced journalism at all much less anything "fact-based." See Benghazi, 2012 election, Fast and Furious, etc.

The Courage Campaign Daily Kos apparently tried to run had an ad campaign trying to get the Tribune Company to refuse to sell to the Kochs. The ad?

OK, what are these objective news sources they refer to? Is there any real reason not to sell to the Kochs or any real reason why they shouldn't be allowed to own a media company? Afraid of a little competition or what?
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2013, 02:59 PM
    Here is a book about one of the 'gatekeepers of truth' .

Amazon.com: Buried by the Times: The Holocaust and America's Most Important Newspaper (9780521607827): Laurel Leff: Books

An in-depth look at how The New York Times failed in its coverage of the fate of European Jews from 1939-1945. It examines how the decisions that were made at The Times ultimately resulted in the minimizing and misunderstanding of modern history's worst genocide. Laurel Leff, a veteran journalist and professor of journalism, recounts how personal relationships at the newspaper, the assimilationist tendencies of The Times' Jewish owner, and the ethos of mid-century America, all led The Times to consistently downplay news of the Holocaust. It recalls how news of Hitler's 'final solution' was hidden from readers and - because of the newspaper's influence on other media - from America at large. Buried by The Times is required reading for anyone interested in America's response to the Holocaust and for anyone curious about how journalists determine what is newsworthy.
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2013, 03:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Buried by The Times is required reading for anyone interested in America's response to the Holocaust and for anyone curious about how journalists determine what is newsworthy.[/I]

Re that last line, I forgot to include the stellar coverage of this front page story in reference to the fine journalistic efforts of media giants such as the NY Times..
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2013, 03:08 PM
    I wonder if the Tribune will accept the Koch bucks ,or take the high ground and sell to' Al Gorezeera' If the Koch Bros. buy it expect to see some Journ-0-lists looking for new work.
    Tuttyd Posts: 53, Reputation: 4

Apr 24, 2013, 03:17 PM
    Objective new source? What is the worst that can happen? It will go from a left wing propaganda news sheet to a right wing propaganda news sheet.

Of course they are involved in grass-roots activism. They are smart business people. If you see a growing popularity of a niche market then you buy into it.You don't really think grass-roots activism would get anywhere without corporate involvement. Do you?
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2013, 03:33 PM
    Tutt I'll ask George Soros and get back to you,

Apr 24, 2013, 04:01 PM
    Tutt I'll ask George Soros and get back to you,

Who's George Soros? Part of the ruling elite?
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2013, 04:49 PM
    You don't know who George Soros is? Dude

George Soros - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2013, 07:30 AM
    Here's yet another story that a Koch-owned newspaper might publish... I just hope none of the perps ever has a child... er, I mean never has a child with autism

Animal-rights activists wreak havoc in Milan laboratory

University says loss of animals and lab records may ruin years of work on psychiatric diseases.

Alison Abbott

22 April 2013

A University of Milan lab raided by animal-rights activists hosted rodents used in psychiatric research.

Activists occupied an animal facility at the University of Milan, Italy, at the weekend, releasing mice and rabbits and mixing up cage labels to confuse experimental protocols. Researchers at the university say that it will take years to recover their work.

Many of the animals at the facility are genetic models for psychiatric disorders such as autism and schizophrenia.

No arrests have been made following the 12-hour drama, which took place on Saturday, although the university says that it will press charges against the protesters. The activists took some of the animals and were told during negotiations that they would be permitted to come back later and take more.

The attack was staged by the animal-rights group that calls itself Fermare Green Hill (or Stop Green Hill), in reference to the Green Hill dog-breeding facility near Brescia, Italy, which it targets for closure. Five activists entered laboratories in the university’s pharmacology department on Saturday morning. The lack of signs of a break-in suggests that the activists may have used an illegally acquired electronic card, says pharmacologist Francesca Guidobono-Cavalchini, who works there. They prised open the reinforced doors of the facility on the fourth floor, and two of them chained themselves by the neck to the main double doors such that any attempt to open the doors could have endangered their lives.

They posted pictures of themselves on their organisation’s website, where they also declared that they would stay for as long as it took to get agreement to leave with all the animals. The facility hosts around 800 animals, mostly genetically modified mice but also some rabbits, according to Martino Bolognesi, a structural biologist at the university. The activists had brought supplies of food and sleeping bags.

Meanwhile, hundreds of animal-rights sympathizers demonstrated outside, according to reports in the Italian press.

Researchers who turned up at the lab to work on their experiments found dozens of civil and military police at the scene, says Guidobono-Cavalchini.

Paola Viani, deputy director of the pharmacology department, worked with police to negotiate with the activists. By evening they had reached a compromise whereby the activists left with fewer than 100 animals, with the understanding that they could return for the rest later; negotiations about whether they may do so are still continuing, according Bolognesi.

Some of the mice they removed were delicate mutants and immunosuppressed ‘nude’ mice, which die very quickly outside controlled environments.

In addition to mixing up animals and cage labels to ensure that ongoing experiments would be ruined, the activists also took the names of the experimenters from the cage labels, some of which they later published on their Facebook page.

The university is now calculating the damages and deciding what charges it will press, according to Guidobono-Cavalchini.

Michela Matteoli, a neurobiologist who works on autism and other disorders and lost most of her own research in the attack, says that she found some research students crying in the disrupted facility on Monday morning.

“It will take three people at least a year to build up the colonies we had of mouse models of different psychiatric diseases,” she says.
    Yeah those darn scientists got what was coming to them.

Apr 26, 2013, 03:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    You don't know who George Soros is? dude

George Soros - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Apparently he also bank-rolls grass roots organizations. It is comforting to know that people such as Soros and the Koch brothers are,"do'en it for the average bloke"
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2013, 06:53 AM
    Soros is a criminal .The Koch Bros. are not.
    Soros Insider-Trade Appeal Rejected by Human Rights Court - Bloomberg
    He's a pirate who brought down the Bank of England and created financial panics in Thailand,and Malaysia.

Apr 26, 2013, 07:00 AM
    Soros is a criminal .The Koch Bros. are not.
    Soros Insider-Trade Appeal Rejected by Human Rights Court - Bloomberg
    He's a pirate who brought down the Bank of England and created financial panics in Thailand,and Malaysia.
    Well, that makes all the difference then. I'll pass that onto the 90% of the population.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 26, 2013, 07:05 AM
    Yeah those Koch brothers are upstanding citizens all right.

Kochs: Under the Radar, Lawsuits, Violations, and Other Bad Deeds | Watchdog Progressive

Apr 26, 2013, 07:15 AM
    Very good Tom. Is this some sort of attempt to defend the ruling elite? I am sure if you defend hard enough there will be a proper seat for you at the table, while the rest of us accept the crumbs.

They play by their own rules and we are the spectators. Too big to prosecute, too big to fail. I am sure this group is acting in your best interests.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2013, 07:15 AM
    And this: Koch Brothers Exposed - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2013, 07:32 AM
    Exactly what crimes have the Kochs committed besides being wealthy conservatives?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2013, 07:44 AM
    Tal's link list many of them.
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2013, 07:55 AM
    A lawsuit is not a crime and damn near everyone that works under federal regulations, especially EPA or DOT, has been cited at some point. Take a look for yourself.

I repeat, exactly what crimes have the Kochs committed besides being wealthy conservatives?
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2013, 08:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuttyd View Post
    Very good Tom. Is this some sort of attempt to defend the ruling elite? I am sure if you defend hard enough there will be a proper seat for you at the table, while the rest of us accept the crumbs.

They play by their own rules and we are the spectators. Too big to prosecute, too big to fail. I am sure this group is acting in your best interests.
    NOBODY is bigger that Soros. The Koch Bros don't represent the ruling elite ,not even close . Soros has been funding them since the Clintoon reign .

Apr 26, 2013, 08:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Tal's link list many of them.
    Apparently none of these people actually do a crime.These types of indiscretions are regarded as misdemeanors. You pay the fine or penalty and go about your business as usual. Committing a crime is for the rest of us Plebs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Name maybe passag aka pasaz possible [ 0 Answers ]

This film was broadcasted late 1990s I believe at open scene two black little boys fighting on beach tropical followed by one part in black and white where a nurse in glasses white looking with a black little boy approach doctor who is attending to a man in a bed movies ends with view of window I...

My best friend Aka Sister [ 1 Answers ]

Why Doesn't she want me Or love me. Why doesn't she like me the way that I do. But is with and cares for others.

View more questions Search