Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aruiz01 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2005, 07:45 PM
    1997 Hyundai will not start (intermittent)
    I just had a replacement engine installed (broke timing belt and trashed valves bad). The car ran good for a day, no smoke when started or driven but now it has an intermittent problem starting. The engine turns over fine but won't start. I had the guys who replaced the engine pick it up and it started when they tried it while I watched. They took it in for a couple of days and it started every time. So I got it back and the same night it repeated the problem. Any ideas where I can start looking?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2005, 08:15 PM
    Next time it won't start, dump a little gas in the air cleaner. If it fires a little, it isn't getting gas. Go back over all the connections for the fuel injection and fuel pump. It would be very easy to leave one a little loose in a complete engine change.

If the gas doesn't seem to make a difference, go over all the ignition connections. If you have spark plug wires, try pulling one off and see if you get a spark.

You can also try wiggling connections while the engine is running, seeing if it misses or stalls. Intermittent problems can be difficult.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2005, 02:35 AM
    Yeah like my olds, loose connection and well sometimes it would start and sometimes it wouldn't, wiggle the connctin at the distributor and around the computer and she started right up. Sometimes they get wet or they just corrode.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hyundai Elantra slipping out of gear [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, We have a 2001 Hyundai elentra, manual transmission, 70k miles and are very conservative drivers, i.e. we don't ride the clutch. Lately, during cold mornings only, 5th gear and 3rd gear slip out of place and go into neutral while driving. It's weird and does not happen during the day in...

GMC 1997 Truck [ 3 Answers ]

Engine turns over fine, but won't start. I've already replaced igition coil & distributor cap & rotter. But still having same problem of not starting. Any suggestions anyone?

1997 jeep wrangler stalls, will not start [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1997 jeep wrangler. A few days ago I was waiting at a stop sign and when I went to pull out my Jeep stalled then completely quit. I assumed it was a fuel pump and replaced the fuel pump module (ouch!). I drove the jeep for 15-20 minutes trying out the new repair and the Jeep died again...

2001 4 cylinder hyundai sonata [ 2 Answers ]

Facing the engine from the front bumper what is the order by number of the cylinders and what is the firing order. I am getting a "misfire on cylinder 3" code. Thank you

View more questions Search