Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    srikanth_9939 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2007, 05:04 PM
    Amount paid back to employer is taxable?
    During 2006, I was working for a company on H1B visa. I have an agreement with that company that if I leave the company before 2 years I have to pay around $6000 for my H1B visa processing, lawyer expenses and travel expenses. And I left the company in April 2006 by paying $6000. This amount is not reflected in my W2 form. Can I claim this amount as tax deductable? If yes, under which catageory I can claim? Thanks in advance
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 23, 2007, 10:55 AM
    Yes, you can claim these as employee business expenses.

However, after the 2% of AGI floor and itemized deduction floor are applied, you may not get much benefit from it.

You file Form 1040NR and claim it using Form 2106 and the Schedule A in the Form 1040NR tax package.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

FICA Tax must paid by employer or Employee? Is there any excemption in it? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Experts, I am on H1B visa , working in GA. 1. does the FICA tax needs to be paid by the employer or by employee? 2. is there any exemption based on annual income? If yes what should be the yearly income to get rid of FICA tax? I am curious to know the answer for these Payroll...

If they paid me in error, do I have to pay it back? [ 7 Answers ]

I was just told that my catastrophic health insurance sent me an $11,000 check last May, that was an accident. The money is long gone. What is my responsibility to repay them when I don't have the money any more. It took them 9 months to tell me. Thanks. Gail

All taxes paid back if made less than 20,000 in nj? [ 1 Answers ]

On my New Jersey state tax, if I made less than 20,000 I don't have to file a return. If I do, will they give me back everything I paid in because I made so little? Or does it not work that way? -thank you so much for the help

QUICKBOOKS Inventory Items taxable or non-taxable [ 0 Answers ]

I have Quick Books Basic. Our small business sells clothing. Recently moved from Pennsylvania (where clothing is a non-taxable item) to Washington (where clothing is a taxable item) So inventory items were all entered in Pennsylvania as non-taxable. And now that we are in Washington they ought...

Employer paid too much [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question about vested interests. My former employer paid me 100% of the vested interest in my 401K instead of 40%. I was unaware of this at the time and I am still not sure it is in fact true as the dollar amount they say they paid me does not match my records. I just received a letter...

View more questions Search