Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    andreyveritas Posts: 32, Reputation: 0

Apr 22, 2013, 05:02 PM
    What claim the author is making in this passage?
    ]what his grounds are for that claim, and what is at stake in the passage—what are the implications, and why is it significant for the argument as a whole/.

“From this fundamental law of nature, by which men are commanded to endeavor peace, is derived this second law: that a man be willing, when others are so too, as far forth as for peace and defense of himself he shall think it necessary, to lay down this right to all things; and be contented with so much liberty against other men as he would allow other men against himself. For as long as every man Holder this right, of doing anything he like; so long are all men in the condition of war. But if other men will not lay down their right, as well as he, then there is no reason for anyone to divest himself of his: for that were to expose himself to prey, which no man is bound to, rather than to dispose himself to peace” (p. 4-5).
    Tuttyd Posts: 53, Reputation: 4

Apr 22, 2013, 06:37 PM
    If this is homework then I can't really tell you the answer because it is against the rules to do so.

Perhaps we can look at Thomas Hobbes' life in order to understand why he might up with such a statement.

Hobbes' greatest fear was living in a society that was characterized by life being 'solitary, poor,nasty,brutish and short'. This was of course understandable because he lived in a very turbulent time in history. The greatest enemy of the time for Hobbes was a chaotic society.

Hobbes' writing reflect the desire for a strong monarch to wield absolute power rather than living in a society whereby individuals are constantly at war with each other. Hobbes' view of human is also rather pessimistic. Humans by their nature are selfish and egoistical. They will, if necessary get their own way even if it requires violence. Furthermore. In such a 'state of nature' the strong will always overpower the weak. Hobbes believed that the only solution to the problem is for men to enter into an agreement in order to overcome a state of ongoing war. This move was also significant because he was one of the first to use the idea of 'social contract' to solve the problem.

Hobbes wanted men to enter into an agreement with a powerful monarch. Hobbes was of the opinion that monarchy was the best form of government because others forms of government usually lapse into divisions and struggles. A single ruler doesn't suffer from the problem of division.

The important point of the social contract is that both parties have obligations. The obligation of the monarch is to provide self protection of every individual.
    Individuals who make up society are required to forgo their natural war like instincts in return for a guarantee of peace.
    andreyveritas Posts: 32, Reputation: 0

Apr 22, 2013, 08:00 PM
    Thank you so much for you help! I appreciate it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Making claim against estate [ 5 Answers ]

Why would an eligible person (adult child of deceased) wait to formalise their claim in NSW? This persons solicitor sent a letter to the executor in October last year advising they wished to make a claim but have not. The deceased passed away mid last year. No one I have spoken to can answer this...

Making A Claim against recently deceased fathers' estate [ 1 Answers ]

I am one of three sisters whose father left us in 1960, and he remarried in the 1970's. He was only in contact with our eldest sister, until dementia made it impossible for her to continue contact. We were told that he had died on 17 August this year, and that he had been cremated with no funeral...

Making Claim [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Could anyone tell me if a can take a builder to cort and claim losses? I had some building work done at my private home, a contract was drawn up, the builder took all the money that was in the contract but didn't finish the work. Subsequently I had to get another builder to complete...

View more questions Search