Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Santafe bob 100 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2013, 03:46 PM
    Copy of drivers license
    Is it lawful for a Home Owners Association, Rental Agency to request a copy of your Drivers License, Social Security Card. Who can legally request a COPY of your Drivers License, Social Security Card? What kind of documentation can you request, to make sure the information is safe from identity thief?

Robert Adams
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2013, 03:50 PM
    Everyone can legally ask you for them... there are no laws against requesting them.

You can refuse to give them... and they can refuse to rent to you... or make you move.

Few of them NEED your social security card ( a financial institution or medical facility as two will need it).. but making a copy of your drivers license isn't unusual.. or unreasonable.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2013, 04:35 PM
    I was a member of a Homeowners' Association many years ago. I agree with your first answer. I would give them a copy of my driver's license, but not my social security card... they don't need it.
    Your social security number is personal information, and I would not give it out to just anyone... only in a hospital stay, or a loan from a bank if requested, and so forth. Good luck.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 22, 2013, 05:34 PM
    Agree, a copy of drivers license is a common ID, but some people do not drive, so you will need to have other options, to prove ID.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 22, 2013, 07:11 PM
    Also they may be requested your SSN to do a credit check on you. And they are entitled to do one. Refusal, can result in their refusal to rent to you.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 23, 2013, 05:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Agree, a copy of drivers license is a common ID, but some people do not drive, so you will need to have other options, to prove ID.
    A Social Security card is not identification. In all states, as far as I know, persons who are not licensed to drive can get ID cards instead.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need to Provide Copy of Drivers license [ 11 Answers ]

I was told that where I work I will now be required to provide a photo copy of my drivers license every month! Does this seem just a little bit ridiculous? First I thought it was just myself but it seems all employees need to. All which I am not sure about because I guess a few might be excluded...

Drivers license in WV [ 3 Answers ]

How did you acquire a drivers license in 1925 in West Virginia?

Drivers license! [ 1 Answers ]

I live in California and I'd like to know if ilegal aliens are allowed to apply for a drivers license? Thank you, Philly

UK drivers license to US license (but with conviction) [ 2 Answers ]

I'm in the UK and I recently crashed my dad's car (without a license nor insurance). I am going to get my full license soon, but the motoring department in the UK have said that I WILL have a conviction on it (obvisouly, for crashing, driving without license/insurance, seatbelts, etc). I am...

View more questions Search