Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Racelwithnoh Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2013, 12:59 PM
    How should coach handle theft among team mates?
    Have a small youth squad (12-13 year olds). Only 18 kids involved. A large item has been stolen and it absolutely had to have been one of the team members as we have proof it was there, proof it went missing and at what time, proof only ones with access to the location were our team kids at practice. No video of the culprit, though!

That obviously creates a disquieting sense of violation and distrust among kids who need to trust each other in game situations.

I am stopped by school from contacting parents to 'accuse' anyone of theft. Locker searches turned up nothing, but they were a day late and dollar short in my book. The item was already taken home/disposed of by then.

All the kids have been told the item is missing and it has name on it who it belongs to. Nobody fesses up.

Where do I most appropriately go from here? Should I refuse to let kids play next game if the item isn't returned/culprit doesn't confess? In that case what do I tell the school, the parents? The other team? Do I actually have this authority? And what do I do if it never gets confessed/returned?

How do I console the kid whose item was stolen? How does that kid (or I) look at his/her team mates the same again? One of them is a thief and a liar and we don't know which one.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2013, 04:49 PM
    Your school have a Principal? I was a high school teacher for 13 yrs, before changing careers for more money... and now 71 yrs old.
    Ask your Principal about it, and let him/her handle it. Good luck.
    PS; Any teacher/coach needs help sometimes with problems!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 22, 2013, 05:33 PM
    You report the theft to police and let them handle it, you do not investigate.

To be honest, you suspect a student, you have no real proof, of who it was, perhaps a teacher or other staff member of school ? Sorry but no, you do not contact parents and say you think their child did anything
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Apr 22, 2013, 08:21 PM
    Are you sure no one has access other than the team? Where exactly do you practice? Are items stored at a school campus? If so, you might be shocked to find out how many people have keys in a school.
    Racelwithnoh Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2013, 11:41 AM
    This is a situation where within a 1-hr window item came and then 'mysteriously' left and we know item was there as going in is shown on video right in the child's hands. Exit is not, as it must have been concealed in a backpack.With such a small room we've searched every nook and cranny same day. Also immediately searched dumpsters, bushes, bathrooms beyond this area. We have a total of 16 kids who left before item was realized gone. The locker room is maybe 8' by 12'? Its only access is real obvious from the center of gym where we were in the gym and never left. No way anyone else in there. And I know I didn't do it. Parent of kid who had theft did call cop and was told the school needs to call parents but school won't do it. And cops says nothing more he can do if they won't investigate. And so I am left with a thief and ill feelings of distrust in a team I want to motivate.

And perplexed at best that we can't call parents of minors and ask did you see this item? Kids are kids. Do parents not get that? Not that we think your kid stole this, but we want to see if you've seen it they may have taken it by mistake. Fr Chuck, How on earth do you investigate when you can't access an adult who can pry out the truth from their minor kid? Are we that far removed from taking responsibility in this nation? You can't even ask me (or in this case, ask the adult responsible for you) if I took it?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

View more questions Search