Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sttw11 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2013, 02:01 AM
    Abuse
    Hi. I just want to know when discipline by a parent is considered 'discipline' and when it starts to border abuse. Any views?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 22, 2013, 02:33 AM
    Abuse is often in the view of the person, many people feel any "touching" is wrong in punishment. My standard is normal spanking is a correct punishment when done properly and not in anger. At no time should it be hard enough to leave any marks.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Apr 22, 2013, 07:38 AM
    If you start young enough, and children learn consequences from their behaviour (after being warned), it is unlikely that the behaviour will repeat itself. If the behaviour does keep repeating itself, more discipline (ie no cell phone for example), for an appropriate length of time.

The discipline has to be effective, and appropriate for the behaviour.

Too many, when disciplining a child- in anger- the discipline does not usually fit the 'crime', and is excessive. In that case, a child learns early that if they forget to flush the toilet, the consequence is the same as though they just crashed the family car. It has to be appropriate to the behaviour.

If you give in all the time, you are setting yourself up, and the child up, to learn nothing, and nothing changes, except the child learns to scream louder, have a bigger temper tantrum, etc. and they get the candy they want.

Discipline is discipline. Abuse is abuse. If you have to hit a child to control their behaviour, it is as bad as hitting your wife to do the same. Violence may temporarily get you what you want, but it is not an answer. In my opinion, when discipline is not given in a calm, reasonable, loving, way, and, as you say, begins to border on abuse, it is the parent that is out of control.

Hitting, kicking, punching, pinching, screaming, along with emotionally abusive words and actions, cause damage. Plain and simple.

I'm not saying that I never spanked my kids. An example was my three year old ran out into traffic, and both were trained/taught, and despite this, just ran out. When I grabbed him, I smacked him on the , and this startled him more than anything. It corrected the behaviour, but, talking followed up this action. It was not normal for me to hit or spank my children.

Following through with consequences is hard work, but reinforcement of the idea that actions have consequences, gets easier with time. No effective discipline, only adds to more bad behaviour upon more bad behaviour, until both the child and the parent are out of control.

Why are you searching for comments on this?
    sttw11 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2013, 10:01 AM
    No reason really. It's just that all my life I have dealt with feeling alone and empty and frustrated. Sometimes I don't even know what I'm feeling. It usually goes away but lately it is just coming to stay. So I've been wondering if it has anything to do with the way my parents disciplined me.

No I am not a mother. I am 20 year old female and not up for having kids right now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can a person be so abnormal to physical abuse,and sexually abuse? [ 2 Answers ]

My,cousin was missing for 2 yrs. And was on crystal meth for a long time but,she also was mentally abused,and most likely sexually abused.She is not the same anymore she lost her self being,and is always wanting sex,she steals,lies,and agrees to everything,she doesn't know who she really is...

Abuse... [ 12 Answers ]

Hello. I'm a woman, 19. I recently came out of an abusive relationship. He'd always shout and swear at me, often calling me a "Stupid c***" when I try to prove him wrong on things. He began finding it funny to hit me. Eventually it turned too violent. I'm in love with a monster. He'd hit me often....

Was this abuse? [ 19 Answers ]

Hi, I've been 8 months out of a relationship and I still get so puzzled as to whether what I experienced was abuse? I met this guy in Aug, 2008. It was like a thunderclap of excitement and emotions and feelings I don't think I've ever experienced so quickly for one person. He truly seemed...

Too much abuse what did I do [ 60 Answers ]

I dated jim for 8 years. His son who is 22 has a girl living there at his house. I helped her out got her feeling comfortable and one day went upstairs looking for my fiancée and she went nuts. She told me ge t the F out you don't belong up here then verbally and physically attacked me. I told my...

Abuse [ 17 Answers ]

Hi I am 18 and I am being abused. It really hurts inside and out. To all men out there you need to know you are destroying a beautiful person, distorting her reflection, sufficating her joy for life and no matter what you think your wrong.

View more questions Search