Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GypsyWoman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2007, 02:52 PM
    Updating Brick Fireplace
    We need to update our fireplace (see photo attached below). The painted wood mantle is OK; we will enhance by covering the corners. And adding decorative trim.

We dislike the two-tone brick and are cosidering tiling over it. What type of tile would we need; how do we prepare the current brick if we put tile over it; would we need to fill in the space between the current bricks to make the surface level?
    Attached Images

tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 21, 2007, 04:04 PM
    I think you should inquire of your closest carpet/tile/flooring store for this information. It needs experienced advice if you want it done properly. You will have to buy the tile anyway from somewhere, you should have them advice you.
    BPW08 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2007, 07:24 AM
    Hello,

I believe it was DIY or HGTV that updated a brick fireplace. I am in the same boat - we plan on updating our fireplace within the next year. I found this article on-line, but you may want to check diynetwork.com or hgtv.com ---- the fireplace they did came out beautifully! In the meantime, here is the article link: How to Make Over a Fireplace

Hope it helps. Good luck - post your 'after' picture - would love to see it.

Good luck.
    EMERIL LAGASSE Posts: 101, Reputation: 4

Mar 24, 2007, 01:47 PM
    Fasten cement board over brick and then tile, get r done:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Painting Brick Fireplace [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to paint the brick around our fireplace to update the look. I would like to know what products and methods of applying are available.

Facelift for Fireplace Brick [ 4 Answers ]

Hi All, Our fireplace is out dated and we want to give it a fresh look but still keep it in line with our country theme. The brick is currently a blackish reddish color with black/charcoal grout. We would like to give it an antique brick (white washed)look similar to the picture below . Has...

Refinishing brick fireplace [ 13 Answers ]

I want to get rid of an ugly brick fireplace in the easiest manner. Is it possible to just prime it and use venetian plaster paint... or use a quick crete or sand topping over the brick and then prime and paint that?

Paint fake brick fireplace? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi! My house has a huge firesurround made of fake bricks - it dominates the room and the terracotta 'bricks' clash with my colour scheme. I hate it and want to paint it - can I and what paint should I use? ;)

Refinishing brick fireplace [ 1 Answers ]

I've been refinishing a fireplace/mantel, which has included stripping layers of paint off the brick fireplace. After months of chemical applications, most of the paint is off, but there are still some stubborn remnants that just aren't coming out - they seem to have soaked into the brick, and...

View more questions Search