Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lmcmasters Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2013, 04:26 PM
    Rough in plumbing for kitchen
    My waste pipe in my kitchen is at 21 inches. I am installing a dishwasher and have not found any fittings that will work in this application.I can redo the drain to come into the floor of the cabinet. Is this OK to do or is there a dishwaser hook up that will work that I haven't found?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2013, 06:02 PM
    Putting a trap at the cabinet floor level is fine, gives you a good air gap. Use a trap, a trap insert with a threaded fitting and a barb connector, do it all the time.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 20, 2013, 08:27 PM
    Dishwasher discharge goes into Garbage Disposer side inlet. If you don't have Garbage Disposer installed than use Branch "T" piece that is designed for this application. Back to you. Milo
    Attached Images

Apr 21, 2013, 05:26 AM
    I am talking about rerouting the whole waste drain. It now enters through the wall at back of cabinet but I can access it from basement to come up through bottom of cabinet instead. I have no garbage disposal and the tailpiece from sink is only 1inch before crossover tee then direct to trap.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 21, 2013, 06:10 AM
    You can reroute the entire drain, but the VENT must still come off above the trap, so you'll also need to plan on running the vent out the top and reconnecting to the vent in the wall as high up as possible, OK?

Otherwise, you could also build a deeper PTRAP using PVC 90s/street 90s... say 4" deeper as long as there won't be standing water in the sink... may allow you to install the branch tailpiece Milo posted a picture of.

More questions just let us know...

Mark

Apr 21, 2013, 07:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    You can reroute the entire drain, but the VENT must still come off above the trap, so you'll also need to plan on running the vent out the top and reconnecting to the vent in the wall as high up as possible, OK?

Otherwise, you could also build a deeper PTRAP using PVC 90s/street 90s...say 4" deeper as long as there won't be standing water in the sink...may allow you to install the branch tailpiece Milo posted a picture of.

More questions just let us know...

Mark
    Thank you Mark that is what I wanted to know. Basically I can make a loop by coming through the floor and the rehooking into existing for the vent. Correct?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 21, 2013, 08:28 AM
    Correct...
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 21, 2013, 10:55 AM
    Is this a single compartment sink or a double? If double, you should be able to install the dishwasher drain wye in the horizontal section between the two compartments. You could also "turn" your trap around to gain enough space for the wye. Or, instead of bringing the drain up through the bottom of the cabinet, simpy open the wall and lower the drain stub out (gonna have to open the wall anyway to access the vent if you come up through the floor, so just lower the drain then.) Ive posted some pics (not the best pics, mind you (surprisingly hard to find pics of good plumbing on the web). Good luck and please let us know how things turn out.
    Lee.
    Attached Images

Plumbing Expert

Apr 21, 2013, 11:01 AM
    There is always room to insert Branch "T" under the sink to accommodated DW drain installation... Rerouting entire line is much (much) more work to do

Btw: In the post #8, Pic #2, that trap is installed backwards
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 21, 2013, 11:07 AM
    I know the trap is installed backwards in pic #2, Milo. That was the point of the pic, to show another way of making this work without doing a complete re-do of the drain/vent. I know it is a hack way of doing things, but it does work when other options just don't add up. You can't honestly tell me you have never installed a trap backwards, can you?

Lee

Apr 21, 2013, 11:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mygirlsdad77 View Post
    Is this a single compartment sink or a double? If double, you should be able to install the dishwasher drain wye in the horizontal section between the two compartments. You could also "turn" your trap around to gain enough space for the wye. Or, instead of bringing the drain up through the bottom of the cabinet, simpy open the wall and lower the drain stub out (gonna have to open the wall anyway to access the vent if you come up through the floor, so just lower the drain then.) Ive posted some pics (not the best pics, mind you (surprisingly hard to find pics of good plumbing on the web). Good luck and please let us know how things turn out.
    Lee.
    This is a double sink and I just found out that it can be installed on the horizontal conector. Thanks for all your help everyone.
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 21, 2013, 11:14 AM
    Re pic #2: If I ran into this situation than I would remove that deep Frankel sink strainer and used regular Spin-Grin type which would give me the needed space to insert Branch T.
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 21, 2013, 11:14 AM
    Imc, Glad to hear it. Sure beats rerouting the complete drain.
    Lee.
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 21, 2013, 11:17 AM
    Milo, but in pic #1, it is a standard strainer and still not enough room. In pic #2, deep strainer with plenty of room when the trap is backwards. It looks to me like it is the same sink, cabinet, rough in, only they, for some reason, changed out the strainer and reversed the trap in the second pic. Go figure, a backwards trap sometimes saves the day, not to mention homeowners pocket book. Wouldn't you agree, Milo?
    Lee.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plumbing rough in [ 2 Answers ]

I am installing multiple toilets in a bathroom. One is ADA (handicap), how close can I put the next toilet? In other words, what is the size I must make the handicap toilet stall?

Rough plumbing for laundry room/kitchen sink [ 16 Answers ]

Hello, I have put together a very rough sketch of how I would like to run my rough drains for our laundry room and kitchen sink in our old 100+ year old remodel. If anyone could take a look and let me know if it looks like it would meet code (UCC 2006), I would appreciate it greatly. I guess...

Plumbing rough in [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me how high from the finshed floor should I rough in the drain and water pipes for a kitchen sink. I am also installing a disposal. Should the drain be centered with the sink or to the right since the disposal will be installed Thank you, Danny

Rough plumbing [ 2 Answers ]

When doing a rough plumbing can you install all fixtures on the same stack or do you have to install the toilet on its own?

Rough in plumbing [ 1 Answers ]

I'm wanting to add a shower to a 1/2 roughed basement. It already has a toilet and sink rough. I'm wondering were to attach the shower drain, and does it need a separate vent or will the vent from the sink work. I know it needs a p trap and it will be 2" pipe. Any other suggestions would help...

View more questions Search