Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kjr6306 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2013, 07:54 AM
    Paternity Case
    I have been served papers from a women I had a relations with 9 years ago. The women was married at the time and got pregnant presumably by me. Her husband knew at the time of birth that the child was not his but they decided to stay together and raise the child as there own. Now almost 9 years later I am being served and may have to 9 years of back child support. I have been reading quite a bit and came across circumstances where paternity can be contested due to estoppel and laches. I am in the state of Ohio. Can anyone shed light on this process?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2013, 07:58 AM
    They will do a DNA test... and that is accurate enough to prove its yours and nobody else's... assuming you don't have an evil identical twin brother.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 19, 2013, 08:08 AM
    This site should help:

In Ohio, how far back can child support go depends upon paternity. |Columbus Ohio Family Law Attorneys| OH Divorce Custody Child Support Law Offices of Virginia C. Cornwell

Unfortunately the news is not good. Unless you can show that paternity was established previously, then you could be liable for 10 years of support. The mother can bring an action of paternity at any time prior to the child turning 23 so no help there.

The only thing that MIGHT help you is that, under OH law, the husband is presumed to be the father. You might argue that husband accepted paternity so it WAS, therefore, previously established.

You need an attorney to determine if my suggestion would fly or not.
    kjr6306 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2013, 08:29 AM
    Thanks for the general info. I have read and am well aware of the laws of Ohio. I specifically need information on Paternity by Estoppel for Ohio.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 19, 2013, 09:33 AM
    Paternity by Estoppel is similar to what I was saying. The fact that the husband accepted and acted as the child's parent for a significant period could be used in your favor. However, there is other case law that holds in cannot be used when it is not in the best interests of the child or to let a parent out of paying support.

You are unlikely to find a definitive answer here. No one here is going to spend a significant amount of time researching for you. Its clear that it is something you should be looking at. Whether the court agrees with you is another matter. You need an attorney to help you deal with court.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Apr 28, 2013, 10:43 PM
    Jantzen v. Jantzen, (Ohio 2012)

Ohio Supreme Court

Docket Number: CA2012-01-006

Mother argues the trial court erred in permitting husband to rebut the presumption he is the natural father because the "defenses" of estoppel, waiver, or laches are applicable. We disagree.

And finally, mother argues that husband assumed the role of father to the two children and the best interests of the children dictate that husband remain their father. However, husband clearly and convincingly rebutted the presumption that he is the children's natural father. Husband purposely sought and received this legal declaration and mother cannot force husband to retain a legal connection to these children.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is there any case law on improper service of paternity action on federal inmates? [ 11 Answers ]

A woman filed two separate paternity petitions naming two men as the father of a minor child. Child support services said that they served one of the respondents. He is saying the documents were improperly served. He never received the documents. He was in Federal prison Is there a special...

Do not feel comp case filed correctly lost want case refiled got sick on job in 2007 [ 0 Answers ]

When talking to people years after case Have been told since I got sick on job should have got worker's comp. Do not feel case was filed correctlt staying I told employer I was physically able to go in field was sent out Was in extreme pain when I returned to office. Went to hospital never...

How do I get a paternity test in a case where a default judgement has been entered [ 1 Answers ]

" I was out of state when a child support order was filed against me in kenton county ky i was unable to get a paternity test a default judgement was made and the case closed i am now stuck with an obscene amount of rearages and current support and want a paternity test help"

New paternity case, visitation? [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter will soon be 7 years old. Has been just the two of us her entire life. I do not have a fathers name on the birth certificate, because(at the time of birth) I wasn't 100% sure which of two men was the father. She has met him no more than ten times her entire life, never knowing her...

Child support and paternity in divorce case [ 1 Answers ]

A dear friend of mine who is a refugee married an American citizen from IL when she was 5 months pregnant (still living in Jordan at that time- they were married double-proxy.) The husband's name is on the son's birth record from Jordan, but after the baby was born, he abandonded the marriage. My...

View more questions Search