Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Apr 24, 2013, 04:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    no way do I or will I condone this cult.
    Do you condone the symbolic cannibals that follow Yesua ben Joseph, or the slavemasters of Muhamed, or the thugees of Kali? Every religious belief is, by definition, illogical and based on faith. Non-believers find some doctrine of every faith abhorrent. IT WAS STILL A CHURCH!

Every single aspect of the raid was of questionable constitutionality and even more questionable procedural legality. Then they brought in M-48 Patton tanks to destroy the buildings, gas the civilians, and grind the Constitution under their treads.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2013, 04:39 AM
    Why waste your time making up childish words?
    I can't help it if you are obtuse . You had to know that my comments were about the Clintons . Again ;feel free to ignore my comments if you think it's childish . I won't loose any sleep over it.
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2013, 04:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    Do you condone the symbolic cannibals that follow Yesua ben Joseph, or the slavemasters of Muhamed, or the thugees of Kali? Every religious belief is, by definition, illogical and based on faith. Non-believers find some doctrine of every faith abhorrent. IT WAS STILL A CHURCH!

Every single aspect of the raid was of questionable constitutionality and even more questionable procedural legality. Then they brought in M-48 Patton tanks to destroy the buildings, gas the civilians, and grind the Constitution under their treads.
    Exactly .
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2013, 04:45 AM
    No argument it was handled badly
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2013, 05:23 AM
    IT WAS STILL A CHURCH!
    Do you find no different between a church and a cult? It's far too simplistic to simply call it a church (even in all-caps and bolded :-))

"According to the paper, Koresh declared he was entitled to at least 140 wives, that he was entitled to claim any of the females in the group as his, that he had fathered at least a dozen children and that some of these mothers became brides as young as 12 or 13 years old.[19]

In addition to allegations of sexual abuse and misconduct, Koresh and his followers were suspected of stockpiling illegal weapons."

They were being investigated for that and then all hell broke loose.
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2013, 05:44 AM
    suspected of stockpiling illegal weapons
    that were not found . They also thought he was running an illegal meth lab... not true either . The guns they owned were legal and legally purchased . The ATF knew that in advance.

Regardless of their suspicions... nothing he was accused of justified a military tank and chemical warfare assault on the compound. It was "over-kill " and illegal under the Posse Comitatus Act .

Koresh invited the ATF to come to the compound in order to look and see what ever they wanted. They refused . Even if they wanted to arrest him ,they could've without incident .Instead they stormed the compound guns blazing . 4 ATF agents (who in a previous job had been body guards of Bill Clintoon ) were killed... probably by friendly fire. That's when the stand off began.

Do you find no different between a church and a cult? It's far too simplistic to simply call it a church (even in all-caps and bolded :-))
    The words “cult” and “sect” are used any time the government want to cast suspicion on or discredit a particular church group.
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2013, 05:53 AM
    The words “cult” and “sect” are used any time the government want to cast suspicion on or discredit a particular church group.
    You may be OK with one man staking claim on all women in a church group and having sex with 12 year olds but I'm not. That's why this isn't such a one-sided argument as you make it out to me.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2013, 05:55 AM
    Hello NK:
    They were being investigated for that and then all hell broke loose.
    Nahhh.. They were being ASSAULTED and all hell broke out. And, the government lost. That pissed 'em off. They're going to SHOW this guy, and they did.

I don't care what he was accused of.

Excon
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2013, 06:00 AM
    I don't care what he was accused of.
    I guess that's where we differ.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2013, 06:09 AM
    Hello again, NK:
    I guess that's where we differ.
    I care about what he DID - not what he was ACCUSED of. They're NOT the same.

We'll never KNOW what he did, IF he did anything.

Excon
    Pest Control Expert

Apr 24, 2013, 07:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    You may be ok with one man staking claim on all women in a church group and having sex with 12 year olds but I'm not. That's why this isn't such a one-sided argument as you make it out to me.
    How much of a problem do you have with Muhamed claiming his divine right to marry as many wives as he can support, including the 9 year old Ayisha?

I repeat, non-believers find some aspects of all religious faiths abhorrent
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 24, 2013, 08:00 AM
    Even believers can find parts of other religions abhorrent. You go back far enough, they all have used their gods to justify bad inhuman behavior.
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2013, 08:45 AM
    Yes and the reverse is true as well.

Islamists have their countries and I choose not to live there.
    Pest Control Expert

Apr 24, 2013, 04:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Yes and the reverse is true as well.

Islamists have their countries and I choose not to live there.
    But they want yours
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2013, 04:59 PM
    But they want yours
    Give them prosperity and they will not want to live anywhereelse. People only migrate for a few reasons, persecution, war and lack of opportunity
    Pest Control Expert

Apr 24, 2013, 05:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    Give them prosperity and they will not want to live anywhereelse. people only migrate for a few reasons, persecution, war and lack of opportunity
    Sure.

From their scripture:

Qur'an:8:39 "Fight them until all opposition ends and all submit to Allah."
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2013, 03:57 AM
    How much of a problem do you have with Muhamed claiming his divine right to marry as many wives as he can support, including the 9 year old Ayisha?

I find all aspects of the Muslim faith abhorrent
    Pest Control Expert

Apr 25, 2013, 04:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    I find all aspects of the Muslim faith abhorrent
    Cannibalism, anyone?

Luke 22:19 And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me.
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2013, 05:11 AM
    The Eucharist is life. Cannibals eat what is dead
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 25, 2013, 09:31 AM
    tomder55 - you keep repeating several factual inaccuracies:

1. This was not a military action. The federal agents running the operaton were under the command of the ATF and later the FBI, both civilian agencies. Your characterization of "Delta Force and Army tanks and incendiary grenades" is inaccurate. They did use tanks from the National Guard to punch holes in walls of the bulding, but to say that this made it a military assault is inaccurate.

2. The tear gas was not "incendiary." There is strong evidence that the fires were actually set by someone inside the building - the fire erupting almost simultaneously in multiple locations points to something other than a spark from tear gas. In any event there is no evidence that the government agents purposefully set fire to the building.

3. You say there was no reason for a raid, that they were just a harmless cult that should have been left alone. I suspect that the relatives of the four men they shot would disagree. Don''t forget that after those shootings the agents urged them to come out for 51 days before the assault began.

I'm not making excuses for what was obviously a botched operation. But to claim that this "killed the country" is bizarre.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Beyond bouillon value? Princess Di In Memoriam [ 0 Answers ]

I have a Princess Diana, $20 State of Liberia, silver medal, 1987. Does it collectible value or just its melt value?

In Memoriam [ 23 Answers ]

The world changed nine years ago. 33023

View more questions Search