Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kcs79 Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2013, 12:32 AM
    Off campus housing
    My son graduates this June. He has been approved for federal grants and has applied at various Jr. Colleges close to our hometown. He does not want to stay in the dorms and has no car to commute. If he were to stay in off campus housing will his grant pay for it like they would dorm rooms. If not would a student loan be advisable ? Please advise
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 19, 2013, 09:13 AM
    You will have to ask as you go, because there are too many variables. Many colleges don't even allow freshmen to live off campus, unless they live at home. And you have to read the grant fine print, and ask them if it isn't clear.
    Kcs79 Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2013, 03:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    You will have to ask as you go, because there are too many variables. Many colleges don't even allow freshmen to live off campus, unless they live at home. And you have to read the grant fine print, and ask them if it isn't clear.
    Thank you. Much appreciated
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Apr 20, 2013, 09:14 AM
    Definitely check with the college about off-campus housing. My sons went to college out of state and were only allowed to live off-campus as freshmen with a relative or in a home owned by a relative. You stated that he is applying to colleges close to your hometown. Is it close enough to commute?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What decision should I make about on-campus housing? [ 1 Answers ]

I talked with my mother and she is worried that I''ll get so in debt in the end that I will be paying 20 or 30 years! I agree I should take as minimum as possible, but I would prefer to live on campus so I would get better off with college. Besides sometimes situation at home is not stable,...

If you got on trouble because of moving out from home to on-campus housing? [ 2 Answers ]

What would you do? Imagine that you got accepted to on-campus housing, you tell it your mother and she gets upset. You get for that private loan cosigned by your father and of course loan is ultimately for you to pay off. But then she goes crazy saying that you'll get in debt and never get out,...

How to look for off-campus housing? [ 6 Answers ]

I applied for university on-campus housing in big city and I am on waitlist. I may or not get space, it is very limited, about 3000-3500 on 14,000 undergraduate students with most reserved for freshmen and sophomore. (and I will be sophmore).I am thinking about looking for off-campus housing still...

View more questions Search