Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    schbh13 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2013, 11:13 AM
    Ask Forced Air Heater questions
    What controls the how long the force air furnace runs to heat the house,
    It seems to cycle much to fast and will not heat the house.
    Furnace starts,burner starts the blower comes on, maby one minute, furnace goes out
    Blower runs for a short wile and shuts off.

Warm air does come through the vents but does not run long enough to
    Heat the room the rooms both close or are far away from the heater
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Apr 18, 2013, 01:26 PM
    I have no quick answer but here are a few to think about. It could be the thermostat doing what is called short cycling. It could be the fan control on the furnace that has gone out of adjustment. Make sure all supply vents are open and all return airs are open along with clean filters to allow the furnace blower to work as it should. It is possible the blower motor but in some cases that would be a long shot. It could be the burner itself that is shutting off then coming back on to cause this problem.

These are the type of problems that really need to be seen by a on site service person so they can use meters wired to the furnace and see exactly what it is doing when the furnace acts up. You really hate to spend money on parts if you do not know for sure if they are bad. Sorry but that is all the help I can be. Good luck.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 18, 2013, 03:44 PM
    I would suggest turning the thermostat all the way up and see if the furnace runs longer and heats the home up more. If it does, your thermostat or thermostat set-up (heat cycle/anticipator setting) is likely culprit. Please describe your thermostat. Now, as hvac1000 said, it could be any number of things, and will most likely require hands on diagnosis. A few things you can do yourself include cleaning the flame sensor, cleaning/clearing any drain lines/traps if the unit is high eff, and changing the filter. Short of that, you need specialized tools and equipment to properly trouble shoot the system.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heater gas forced air [ 1 Answers ]

I have a combo heat and cooling system the problem is with the heat the unit cycles glow light comes on the furnace firers up and then shuts down I have to reset the system two maybe three times what causes this seem like every night I have to go through this what can it be

Forced Air Fan Heater [ 1 Answers ]

I have just bought a Dimplex Forced Air Fan heater and want to connect it to the wall where an baseboard heater was. The Forced Air Fan heater has three wires... Red, Black, and then a Blue wire. The wires from the wall are Red, Black and then what appears to be a ground wire. I also have a...

Forced air heater no heat [ 1 Answers ]

I have an old Day and Night (over 16 y/o) gas forced air heater that is blowing cool air only. The Model # is 8OU-19A or 8QU-19A. The igniter/pilot appears to be working fine & when the temp controls are raised the fan comes on but the main burners do not. Where do I start, even if the pilot seems...

Day & Night forced air heater keeps blowing cold air [ 1 Answers ]

Yesterday my heater was working as normal. Today I replaced the filter in my Day & Night forced air heater. Later I bumped my thermostat when walking by it, but I'm not certain that this caused the problem. My heater turned on and blew hot air. I turned it all the way down, but the fan...

Forced air heater [ 1 Answers ]

Blows 3 amp fuse. After fuse blows fan comes on. Ignitor works prior to fuse blowing but no gas. One resistor on board appears to have black mark.

View more questions Search