Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SingleGram Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2013, 10:40 PM
    Single grandmother, grandson has become very defiant.
    I am a single grandmother and have had guardianship for my grandson since he was 2 yrs old. He has always been somewhat resistant, but now that he is 16, he is verbally abusive and refuses to go by the rules. He is very angry and my like has become miserable.

I've tried counseling but he just manipulates. Sometimes I am afraid of him, he has a very bad temper. I can't seem to control him. He needs two parents so he cannot bully.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Apr 18, 2013, 04:13 AM
    Are his parents in his life at all?

You are in such a tough spot with a defiant 16 year old. That you feel fearful is a terrible way to live.

You have been to counselling, and I gather there was no insight as to what is causing this behaviour? Is he in school? Do you suspect drug/alcohol use?

More information would be helpful.
    adam_89 Posts: 1,866, Reputation: 280
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2013, 05:33 AM
    Have you looked into military school or a bootcamp perhaps? So many kids lack discipline in today's society! Just a thought.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 18, 2013, 06:04 AM
    Where do you live? You might want to contact Social Services about foster care until he is 18. It's tough enough for many parents plural, and single parents, much less a non-parent trying to raise a teen alone.
    How about Big Brother, or is he too old, or resistant to that?
    If he knows you are at the end of your rope and looking into other situations, he might shape up. But not too likely... teens don't usually have a clue what's out there in the world.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 18, 2013, 09:49 AM
    He needs a strong male figure in his life right now. Do you have relatives or family to support you? How does he do in school?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it right for a grandmother to shower with her 5 year old grandson [ 4 Answers ]

Is it normal and moral for grandmother to shower with her 5 year old grandchild?

Grandmother bathing with an almost 3 year old Grandson? [ 15 Answers ]

My stepdaughter told me that her almost 3 year old son is bathing with his other Grandmother. Is this normal or an OK thing to do? I told my stepdaughter that I think it is a form of child abuse. Am I right?

Grandmother never offers to watch grandson. [ 5 Answers ]

This is my 2nd question on this board. I got great advise on the first post which actually helped me with my marriage. Now my 2nd question. This is something that has come up a million times in my marriage. It has to do with getting a break from the baby (now 2 1/2 years old) to go out with my...

View more questions Search