Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gibson da silva Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2013, 12:44 PM
    2013 immigration reform
    I lived for 11 and a half years in US and I returned to brazil in 08/2012. I paid my taxes all this years, and I have a 9 Years old doughter who was born in US. Will I qualify for the 2013 immigration reform?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 17, 2013, 12:56 PM
    How were you paying taxes if you were an illegal? Because you needed either a SSN or an ITN number to do that, and they didn't hand them out to illegals. If you were here on a VISA legally or a Green card... you would have had those.
    newacct Posts: 321, Reputation: 21

Apr 18, 2013, 12:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    How were you paying taxes if you were an illegal? Because you needed either a SSN or an ITN number to do that, and they didn't hand them out to illegals. If you were here on a VISA legally or a Green card...you would have had those.
    The same requirement to pay and file taxes applies equally to people legal or illegal. People who don't have an SSN can get an ITIN to file taxes.
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2013, 05:00 AM
    I don't disagree the obligation isn't and wasn't always there... it's just that you can't pay SSI.. and FICA as well as your other taxes... without it... and they don't hand them out to people who aren't here legally. They aren't even happy to hand them out to people that are... as I found out trying to get one for my wife years ago... which they flat out refused to do until she was issued her green card.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 18, 2013, 06:02 AM
    I don't disagree the obligation isn't and wasn't always there....it's just that you can't pay SSI..and FICA as well as your other taxes....without it...and they don't hand them out to people who aren't here legally. They aren't even happy to hand them out to people that are.....as I found out trying to get one for my wife years ago....which they flat out refused to do until she was issued her green card.
    Times have probably changed then. ITINs are issued regardless of immigration status NOW. Both resident and non resident aliens may have payment obligations under the IR code.
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2013, 06:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Times have probably changed then. ITINs are issued regardless of immigration status NOW. Both resident and non resident aliens may have payment obligations under the IR code.
    Tough to do when employers are required in many cases to verify they are even here legally... since most illegals use false papers... and fake Id's. And paying taxes under someone else's ID doesn't mean they actually paid THEIR taxes...

Otherwise why even bother with the VISA process.
    Expert

Apr 18, 2013, 06:31 AM
    Tough to do when employers are required in many cases to verify they are even here legally...since most illegals use false papers...and fake Id's. And paying taxes under someone elses ID doesn't mean they actually paid THEIR taxes....

Otherwise why even bother with the VISA process.
    Could be some people are actually more honest than you expect them to be.
    Expert

Apr 18, 2013, 06:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Could be some people are actually more honest than you expect them to be.
    On a side note, the Visa process isn't all that easy nowadays, to enter US or CDA, and not guaranteed after paying fees and jumping through hoops to comply to all regulations. Once an applicant is over here and in front of the interviewing official, entrance can be denied on a small technicality and back they go!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Comprehensive Immigration reform [ 16 Answers ]

Hello: The right wing KNOWS it LOST the Hispanic vote, so they SAY they want to mellow their positions.. Now they want COMPREHENSIVE immigration reform. But, I don't know what that means... Is it the same old policy with a new name? Have you relented on your pledge to throw 12 million people...

Reform movement [ 1 Answers ]

In what ways did the reform movement of the mid-19th century affect the lives of women, both white and black, free and enslaved?

Immigration reform is next. [ 21 Answers ]

Hello smoothy: Couple things: If your family was starving, and YOU were unable to provide for them, and you saw a help wanted sign, but it was on the other side of a line that you're not supposed to cross, would you cross it anyway, go to work and send money to your family? Of course, you...

Law reform [ 5 Answers ]

I came to the us in 95 I was 17 years at that time they grant me a permanent residence at the airport my mom was us citizen naturalize before I came can I apply for the us citizenship

Reform Judaism [ 22 Answers ]

I wish to convert to Judaism, but my greatest fear is circumcision. I did a little bit of reseach, and I found out that Judaism has a branch called "reform Judaism", but I also read that it is not accepted by the more conservative Jews. Should I convert or remain religionless but uncut? It is my...

View more questions Search