Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sheba1264 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2013, 08:21 AM
    Inheritance in Louisiana
    My mother's brother died. He was not married and had no children. He has a house and property. My mother has a sister. Is it possible for my mother to NOT inherit her half of the house and property but give it to her chilren?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 17, 2013, 08:24 AM
    Was there a will?
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Apr 17, 2013, 10:20 AM
    Louisiana has the most complicated laws of intestacy in the US.
    If the decedent has no descendants, his separate property will be inherited by his brothers and sisters, or their children if any of them have predeceased the decedent, subject to a usufruct in favor of his parents. Half brothers and half sisters inherit according to their lines, thus they may inherit only a half share, and that half share may or may not be subject to a usufruct in favor of their parent. If there are brothers or sisters on only one side, they inherit to the exclusion of all others.
    Consult an attorney.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 17, 2013, 03:22 PM
    The simple answer is no. She has to accept the property before she can pass it along to you.

There is no provision in the law for your mother to be "skipped over" unless she weren't alive.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 17, 2013, 03:25 PM
    Your mother may be able to pass on the inheritance in which case it goes to the next in line, which may not be her children. Or she can gift the inheritance to her children. Either way I would consult an estate attorney

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Louisiana inheritance [ 2 Answers ]

When a parent dies and spouse lives in the dwelling, where no succession was done, when dwelling sells the Aires have rights to there part of the $$$ even if a will leaves tALL to the surviving spouse don't they? Three grown children are who are referred to.

Louisiana inheritance [ 3 Answers ]

My father died recently without a will. What rights do surviving three biological children have? Mother is suddenly distrusting and secretive?

Inheritance laws in Louisiana? [ 5 Answers ]

My estranged father lives in a common law relationship and is in poor health. The woman he lives with controls all the finances and has a friend who is an attorney. Not sure if a will exists. This woman is not trusted by me or my two sisters. What is a realistic scenario with our inheritance? He...

Louisiana Inheritance [ 1 Answers ]

We live in Louisiana and when my mother dies I'll inheritance her house and business. If my spouse and I divorce after her death is he able or entitled to any of my inheritance?

Louisiana inheritance without a will [ 1 Answers ]

What is the law if a spouse dies and there is no community property except a bank account with one remaining spouse and 5 children? Does all the money go to the spouse or do the children get a portion of the inheritance?

View more questions Search