Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nycrdhd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2013, 09:51 AM
    Business Trip-Waiting for job offer
    I am waiting for a possible job offer from an interview last week - I think I have a good chance of getting the job though there may be some negotiating needed around title etc.

My current employer wants me to schedule a business trip for the end of June... but I have to decide TOMORROW as it is being paid for by the vendor. I am getting a lot of pressure to go but how can I commit and then leave my job (if that's what happens)

Should I notify the HR person at the possible new company or make up a personal excuse as to why I can't go on the trip?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 16, 2013, 10:02 AM
    Be honest, it will look good on you. Notify the HR person at the possible new job. Don't jeopardize the job you already have.

You will only invent a tangled web of untruths you won't get out of!
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 16, 2013, 10:55 AM
    Wait a minute... this is complicated by the fact that the business trip isn't until the end of June, and presumably the new job would start before then. But I too would call the new employer to ask how close they are to a decision, and I would definitely stall at your current job. They don't HAVE to have an answer right now. Make up something creative. A sibling's wedding is probably going to be that week or something, and you need a little more time.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2013, 06:00 PM
    I can't know enough about your current workplace or whether you interpreted the vibes from your interview correctly, or how much chance you really have for the new job--to be in a position to tell you to inform your current employer. That can be a career ender in many situations if you end up having to stay.
    I think you need to deal with the facts as they are now, and let the chips fall where they may if you get the other job, unless you know your employer well enough to be relatively certain that they won't hold it against you.
    You don't know what the future holds anymore than the rest of us do. Decisions need to be based on facts, not "I am waiting for a possible job offer from an interview last week ".
    What's the worst that can happen if you set up the trip and don't go?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Job offer from an ex!? [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking for a job, I am already employed, but looking for a better opportunity. My ex noticed from other people that I have sent my CV to them that I am looking for a job, now after 5 months of break up he sent me an email and he is offering me a job in his company! He also mentioned that he...

Job Offer [ 6 Answers ]

Hello: Before I start blasting the right wingers for saying Obama broke the law, could you tell me if he DID break the law? What he did was offer Sestak a job IF he didn't run against Arlen Specter. I know a LITTLE bit about the law, but I can't see where something wrong happened here. ...

Job offer [ 3 Answers ]

Okay well in one of my classes I have to do a pretend resume, but with that I need to find a job offer, you know like a written one, a real one that I can print out and put in my binder to say that's what my resume is for. I would like to find a job offer for something to do with animals, mainly a...

About a job offer [ 4 Answers ]

I got a job offer from a company named moon group inc. sounds like a good job, but is this a real company? I'm a little worried just because it's dealing with my personal accounts and don't trust much over the net.:confused:

View more questions Search