Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    adam_89 Posts: 1,866, Reputation: 280
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2013, 03:48 AM
    Is 3 mbps fast enough?
    I am currently looking at different internet packages and was wondering if anyone had any advice here. I have been doing some research on it, but I used to frequent this websit years ago and it was always helpful so I thought I would return to get some good advice. Also, I live about 8 miles out of city limits so I am not sure if I can even get cable internet at my house. Might have to do satellite again, but I was wondering if there is some kind of thing that keeps cable companies out of certain areas and only satellite companies can get the customers in the area? Thanks in advance for any help!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2013, 04:16 AM
    Yes there is. A cableco and telco have to do a breakout of the cables running across the poles and set up a box that will distribute lines to individual homes. They typically only incur this cost if the potential revenue is worth it.
    A satellite vendor does not need to do this of course in order to provide service in the satellite's reach,
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2013, 04:25 AM
    Ok, I just looked it up and there are cable companies with customers within a mile from my house. So, they are getting highspeed internet a mile away while I can only get satellite? Plus I live on a lake in a huge association. I would think that they would go the extra mile and give the rest of us highspeed internet options and for TV as well. I know I could cut my TV bill in half by switching to cable so that means everyone else could as well. Also, do you know about the 3 mbps being good?
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2013, 05:14 AM
    Well 3mbps is 'good enough' for general web surfing and watching YouTube videos. Netflix might see a bit of buffering and offer only SD.
    I have fiber to the home and 45mbps which all I'll ever need by a long shot.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 16, 2013, 05:22 AM
    Only 45 Meg, you're slacking there NK.
    I signed up for FTTC (Fibre To The Cabinet) and currently enjoying 60(ish) out of a possible 78 Meg ;)
    That and 20 up as well..

BT finally do something right.
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2013, 06:15 AM
    I'll do a test tonight and post my results (if I remember to).

Adam,
    If your home association can convince the cableco that they would subscribe to their cable TV/Internet service en masse then you have a possibility to make the company recalculate their business plan. What we don't know is if there is some physical/technical impediment (or even legal if they have no access) that prevents them from getting there.
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2013, 08:14 AM
    I am going with the 6 Mbps and I have used that on other computers and it is really fast. So, as soon as I get my order in, I should be able to know for certain.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 23, 2013, 08:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by adam_89 View Post
    I am going with the 6 Mbps and I have used that on other computers and it is really fast. So, as soon as I get my order in, I should be able to know for certain.
    Most of the numbers your looking at don't really mean anything to the individual user. Most websites don't offer speeds anywhere approaching what your line can suck up. What is important is to look at what you plan to do with your service plan on making a choice based on that usage. Lets say you're a gamer online. What your looking for is the cleanest line possible. That means low latency and minimal packet loss. Satalite can't offer that. Cable is very hit and miss as far as good service.

You can try looking here for what is available in your area and for tweaking your system for the service you choose.

DSLReports Home : Broadband ISP Reviews News Tools and Forums
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2013, 09:21 AM
    Thank you very much for the info! Very helpful. I will mostly be using it for browsing. One thing that I did not think about was playing game systems online. I guess I will have to see how that works out for me. I shall hope for the best. Thanks again!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

54.0 mbps [ 2 Answers ]

If I go to Internet Roku how many TV can I stream on 12.0 DSL?

Mbps info [ 2 Answers ]

My desktop is saying I have 100.0 mbps speed, but my laptop (broadband wireless Between them and the internet) only connects at 6.0 mbps - what is wrong? Also, what is the difference between 1.5 mbps satellite dish and 100.0 mbps broadband?

How to change 54.0 Mbps to 100.0 Mbps for my wireless laptop? [ 8 Answers ]

HI At my main desktop the speed is 100.0 Mbps but my wireless laptop its 54.0 Mbps they both use the same wireless modem but why is my wireless laptop speed is 54.0 Mbps can it be faster and change it too 100.0? Also if you guys know any tips how can I make my wireless laptop speed faster...

Confused about kb,kpbs,mb,mbps. [ 8 Answers ]

Dear All I do not know what does this mean. I am always confused in this and I really do not know about the basics of these things. I am working in a computer related Company but I tried a lot to learn about these but in vian. And did not Understand it so far. So I would appreciated a lot...

View more questions Search