Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DaviesDJ Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2013, 10:19 AM
    Ringworm
    I got back from holiday and realised I had ringworm. Can any one help me on how to get rid of it.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2013, 11:25 AM
    You need to go see a medical doctor.
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Apr 15, 2013, 12:36 PM
    You can get ringworm treatments over the counter. Your best bet would be Ketoconazole or miconazole. But there are other treatments as well such as lotrimin or mycelex. If you have any major concerns or questions about any of these I'm sure you can ask the pharmacist and they'd be happy to lend a hand.

Once you get it, make sure you continue using the treatment for the said amount of time, because the visible signs might go away, but the it might not actually be gone!!

If you find that the over the counter treatments don't work, then you definitely need to see your doctor to get something a bit stronger.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2013, 01:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Gernald View Post
    You can get ringworm treatments over the counter. Your best bet would be Ketoconazole or miconazole. But there are other treatments as well such as lotrimin or mycelex. If you have any major concerns or questions about any of these I'm sure you can ask the pharmacist and they'd be happy to lend a hand.

Once you get it, make sure you continue using the treatment for the said amount of time, because the visible signs might go away, but the it might not actually be gone!!!

If you find that the over the counter treatments don't work, then you definitely need to see your doctor to get something a bit stronger.
    It is important to get advice and to get it looked at by a medical doctor. There might be treatment needed that is not over the counter. Please advice people to see a medical doctor especially when it has to do with fungal infections and we do not know what other medical issues might be there.
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Apr 15, 2013, 02:05 PM
    I think we can agree to disagree here Joe.
    I think it is important to see a doctor if you don't know what it is. However, because ring worm is so common and fairly obvious seeing a GP isn't necessary unless it's on the scalp. I'd equivocate it to the common cold of the fungal world. People don't go to the doctor every time they have a cold.
    The NHS suggests seeing a GP for ring worm if it's on the scalp otherwise, it's not really necessary to see a doctor --> Ringworm - NHS Choices
    Obviously if the treatment doesn't work they should see a doctor. Or even if they're worried about it not being ringworm.
    No need to fly the red flags, especially when the question was how to get rid of the fungus not what is it, there's no point in over the counter treatments if people don't use them.
    DaviesDJ Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2013, 03:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Gernald View Post
    I think we can agree to disagree here Joe.
    I think it is important to see a doctor if you don't know what it is. However, because ring worm is so common and fairly obvious seeing a GP isn't necessary unless it's on the scalp. I'd equivocate it to the common cold of the fungal world. People don't go to the doctor every time they have a cold.
    The NHS suggests seeing a GP for ring worm if it's on the scalp otherwise, it's not really necessary to see a doctor --> Ringworm - NHS Choices
    Obviously if the treatment doesn't work they should see a doctor. Or even if they're worried about it not being ringworm.
    No need to fly the red flags, especially when the question was how to get rid of the fungus not what is it, there's no point in over the counter treatments if people don't use them.
    Thanks for the advice everyone.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ringworm won't go away [ 22 Answers ]

Help! Help!Help! I contracted ringworm from my new kitten and I went to the doctor who put me on one cream, which really did nothing. Then another cream, which seemed like it was curing it but then suddenly stopped working!! My ringworm is virtually coming back with a vengeance!! I have tried...

Ringworm removal [ 2 Answers ]

I was just wondering if there I a way to get rid of ringworm with out fungal cream, my young niece she's 2, has it and I don't want to use the fungal crap, I know from my high school days we used to bleach the wrestlers ringworm, but she is to little for that I have herd about black walnut, which...

Cream not working for ringworm ? [ 7 Answers ]

I have had those little red bumps on my tummy for a while... I never thought about it until I noticed... when I scratched it... it got WORSE. I finally went to the doc and he simply proscribed me a cream... didn't say much... said... that's a rash... most likely exzema. The rash was still there......

Treatment for Ringworm [ 2 Answers ]

My 2 1/2 yr old granddaughter just started Day Care and has contracted a patch of ringworm on her cheek, with some fine bumps around the area. It has been confirmed by her doctor that it is ringworm. She recommended Lotrimin Cream 3x a day. However every thing I have researched about Lotrimin is...

View more questions Search