Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jen1019 Posts: 6, Reputation: 0

Apr 14, 2013, 02:29 PM
    Patient rights violation.
    This happened about 5 years ago. I'm not sure if anything can be done now.
    I was giving birth to my fourth child. My water had broke and I give birth rather quickly so this time around I was unable to have any medication.

The nurse came in to check my cervics I was in a lot of pain and told her not to because I was having a contraction. I had at the time 3 other children and know nurses know better not to check you during a contraction. She did it anyway and I started screaming in pain of course I yelled at her to stop. She didn't listen I began kicking her to get her off me and she just shoved her hand even harder down in that region against my will. At the time I was going to school full time I was also going through a divorce and had 3 other children to take care of. It was a very stressful time in life so I didn't take action. I'm kicking myself though. The care from this nurse was horrible! Is there anything that can be done now? I also wonder if I would have reported it if it would have been taken seriously.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 14, 2013, 03:13 PM
    Probably too late to do anything. You can try talking to the hospital administration, but I doubt if anything can be done.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 14, 2013, 03:39 PM
    It's too late to do anything now, but as a labor and delivery nurse I can tell you that it is appropriate to check for dilation of the cervix during a contraction.

Apr 14, 2013, 03:56 PM
    Thank you guys for your replies... Yea having 3 kids before that I knew what she was doing was wrong. But when a patient is screaming at you to stop and you continue doing causing pain it seems to me that would be considered assault. No one was in the room with us, just the nurse and I..

I guess what really got me thinking about this is I'm planning to go back to school for nursing. Then I started thinking about that incident. I wish I would have reported it not only because of how horrible my own experience was, but because how she may treat people in the future when giving care.

Apr 14, 2013, 03:58 PM
    To the above poster who states she is a labor and delivery nurse. Your not suppose to check during a contraction all your doing is hurting the patient. As a mother of now 5 children I have never had a nurse do that to me. So if your doing that you shouldn't be, all your doing is hurting your patients unnecessarily and if someone tells you to stop your suppose to stop.

It is really astounding these days at the medical care given in many situations, where your more looking at your patients as a job instead of taking care of there well being. Putting them in more pain then that needs to be done and just the lack of sympathy I see from nurses and doctors that again view there patient as a job rather then a person. Its sad really.
    Expert

Apr 14, 2013, 04:03 PM
    What she was doing was NOT wrong. You have to understand that I have 2 lives at stake. Not just yours, but your baby's as well. Checking the cervix during a contraction is absolutely necessary to determine proper cervical dilation.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 14, 2013, 04:08 PM
    Actually Jen, you're wrong.

Cervical exams can uncomfortable, especially during contractions when the most information can be gained. Some attendants feel justified in asking laboring women to change position so they can perform a "necessary" cervical check. Other attendants are skilled at checking a cervix in many positions.
    http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...5m5Cp30edBulbg

Apr 14, 2013, 04:13 PM
    In that link you just provided it no where states your suppose to do a cervical check during a contraction!

Apr 14, 2013, 04:27 PM
    Please feel free to provide a link stating your claims of how important it is to check for dialation of cervix during a contraction. The life of me and my baby have nothing to do with a regular check of the cervix during labor. There was no emergency nothing going on with the baby that was abnormal. It wasn't a life threatening situation. Which would have been completely different. Women have been giving birth from the dawn of time without some so called professional shoving there fingers up there.

Yes please explain to me why this nurse needed to intentionally hurt me to do her job properly. When there was no risks or concerns for the baby or my health and she was told not to.
    Expert

Apr 14, 2013, 05:03 PM
    Since you already know it all, and I've been doing this for many years, I can tell you that the statute of limitations has run out for you to bring any action against this nurse.

Apr 14, 2013, 05:03 PM
    Here you go you want some real information about cervical checks.

Dilation/Effacement & Cervical Checks: READ THIS! - February 2010 Babies - What to Expect.com

It wasn't uncomfortable it felt like someone was stabbing me with a knife. After having 5 kids discomfort I can more then handle thank you very much. Pet lady you should stick to pets!

But of course as a nurse of how ever many years I'm sure you know it all.. In the future when giving your response to something weather you practice it or not or feel its standard practice. Instead of shooting someone down and focusing on what you believe to be right. You could try focusing on the problem. This nurse was told to stop in fact screamed at to stop and she didn't. Instead of looking at that and how much pain she put me in you focused on the fact that you believe people should be checked during a contraction. Your response right there is why the medical practice has gone to crap. You look at it as a job you don't care about the patient. Don't give me that crap about how my life and my babies life was at risk. THERE was no risk! The whole medical profession needs to have their heads deflated and accept they not only don't know everything but listening to your patient is vital. You should try it you may learn something.
    Expert

Apr 14, 2013, 05:05 PM
    Glad you weren't my patient. I don't need your information. This is my profession. Noe I must sign out as I am at work and have to birth some babies.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 14, 2013, 05:09 PM
    J_9 is a professional and respected member of this site. I've done a little research and there seems to be differing opinions on the necessity of this procedure. Clearly the link you posted is from a maverick who is going against established procedure. It may be an individual decision on the part of the birthing room personnel with the individual patient.

We will not tolerate personal attacks here. If you want to disagree and can back uop your disagreement feel free. But leave personalities out of it,
    Expert

Apr 14, 2013, 05:15 PM
    The statute of limitations has passed for you to take any action. You had one year to do so.
    Pets Expert

Apr 14, 2013, 10:10 PM
    It wasn't uncomfortable it felt like someone was stabbing me with a knife. After having 5 kids discomfort I can more then handle thank you very much. Pet lady you should stick to pets!
    Since you are citing your expertise, the only expertise being that you've had children, then I'm more than qualified to answer this question, as I've given birth as well.

With each of my pregnancies I was checked for dilation during a contraction, and it was not painful. Uncomfortable yes, but painful, no.

I do agree that the nurse should have stopped if you were kicking and screaming for her to stop. The nurse should have gotten the doctor so he could explain to you why this procedure was being done. But the bottom line is, you waited too long to do anything about this, so it will have to be something you get over.

Good luck.
    Expert

Apr 15, 2013, 07:40 AM
    So, you are familiar with a nuchal cord? You are familiar with a cord prolapse?

Aside from having 5 children, what is your expertise in the medical community?

Considering what went on with your rapid labor and delivery, the nurse was trying to make sure that you did not have cord prolapse, which would endanger the life of your child. Guess you don't care about that do you?

So, you kicked the nurse? Wouldn't that be considered assault?
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2013, 07:41 AM
    I would like to add something.

You as a patient are lucky that you did not get charged with assault against the nurse. It could have went either way. Why five years later? Like everyone else said there is nothing that you can do now.

Also since it was just you and the nurse in the room at the time. There is no one to substantiate either story from you or the nurse.

Good luck with your future endeavors but this is something that you need to move past.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 15, 2013, 01:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jen1019 View Post
    Please feel free to provide a link stating your claims of how important it is to check for dialation of cervix during a contraction. The life of me and my baby have nothing to do with a regular check of the cervix during labor. There was no emergency nothing going on with the baby that was abnormal. It wasn't a life threatening situation. Which would have been completely different. Women have been giving birth from the dawn of time without some so called professional shoving there fingers up there.

Yes please explain to me why this nurse needed to intentionally hurt me to do her job properly. When there was no risks or concerns for the baby or my health and she was told not to.
    Really? What do you think the job of a midwife was during labor back in the day? They didn't stand around with a mit in their hands to catch the baby coming out.

Cervical Check in Labor

Cervical exams can uncomfortable, especially during contractions when the most information can be gained. Some attendants feel justified in asking laboring women to change position so they can perform a "necessary" cervical check. Other attendants are skilled at checking a cervix in many positions.
    Pets Expert

Apr 15, 2013, 02:50 PM
    Careful Cdad, I posted the same info and was told to get back to the pet section, because I don't know nothing about birthin no babies.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 15, 2013, 03:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jen1019 View Post
    Here you go you want some real information about cervical checks.

Dilation/Effacement & Cervical Checks: READ THIS! - February 2010 Babies - What to Expect.com

But of course as a nurse of how ever many years I'm sure you know it all.. In the future when giving your response to something weather you practice it or not or feel its standard practice. Instead of shooting someone down and focusing on what you believe to be right. You could try focusing on the problem. This nurse was told to stop infact screamed at to stop and she didn't. Instead of looking at that and how much pain she put me in you focused on the fact that you believe people should be checked during a contraction. Your response right there is why the medical practice has gone to crap. You look at it as a job you don't care about the patient. Don't give me that crap about how my life and my babies life was at risk. THERE was no risk!! The whole medical profession needs to have their heads deflated and accept they not only don't know everything but listening to your patient is vital. You should try it you may learn something.

This person who wrote the article took a few weekend courses and delivered 8 babies in a year. Oh sure I would say she is at the top of her field. Do you have something that shows an article written by a person with more experience then the one your trying to discredit ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

violation of patient rights [ 0 Answers ]

Hi - I gave birth to my son two years ago and at the time had signed a notice informing the provider that I did NOT wish to have any interns or such involved in my care and/or delivery. However, the only people that I saw at the time I was admitted to the hospital for labor were interns; the...

Violation of patient rights [ 46 Answers ]

Hi, I recently gave birth in a hospital via c-section. I was administered potocin without my knowledge or consent and I feel my rights were violated. IS there any legal action I can take. I know that hospital have a time out rule that before any procedure/medicine is given to a patient they are...

View more questions Search