Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2013, 10:32 AM
    Report 1099 Misc Income
    I won a Small Claims case against a Corporation in 2012. I am in the middle of preparing my taxes and realize the Corporation sent me a 1099 listing the Small Claims award as "Misc Income/Other Income" to me.

I am obviously surprised that this is taxable to me.

Is this correct?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 14, 2013, 10:45 AM
    I just looked in my paper copy of IRS 17 and it's under Other Income, Court Awards and Damages. It has a short list of types of ordinary income that must be declared, including punitive damages, lost wages/profit, interference in business, and breach of contract.
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2013, 11:15 AM
    Wow - so depending on your tax bracket you pay a % of any award.

In my case this is for financial advisor fees paid in advance and then the financial advisor did nothing so the fees were returned to me.

So I won but I lost!

Thanks, Joy.
    The Junoo Posts: 44, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2013, 05:05 PM
    The $600 requirement is for the corp who paid you being required to send you a 1099 and for them to report it to the IRS. It is crucial that you report this income because the IRS also receives a copy of Form 1099-MISC and 1096 from the payer. Failure to report Form 1099-MISC income can lead to an audit and underreporting of income. If you made no out of pocket expenses you would report the income on Line 21 of Form 1040 as one time deal. If you did not render services, then SE tax should not be due on this amount. On the contrary if you made pocket expenses for the income, you'll have to show the amount, and any allowable associated expenses, on a sch C (or you can probably use a C-EZ), and fill out a sch SE to calculate your self-employment tax.
    Uber Member

Apr 17, 2013, 05:30 PM
    Thanks, Junoo, but I didn't say I wasn't going to report it. I asked if anyone ever heard of this before.

I work in the legal field, and I've never seen a Court-ordered refund of fees listed as income to anyone.

And, yes, I understand 1099 income and how it's reported.

Apr 17, 2013, 07:21 PM
    A damages award can cover a variety of different types of damages, and the types of damages included in the payment affects whether the damages are taxable; the type of damages awarded generally determines whether you must pay taxes on the money you receive. Damage awards often include an amount designed to reimburse the winning party for his out-of-pocket expenses resulting from the losing party's conduct.. Damages to reimburse for out-of-pocket costs are generally not taxable. Damage awards also generally include an amount for lost income or loss business opportunities. This portion of damages is designed to compensate the victim for any money that she otherwise would have been able to earn had she not been damaged by the other party. A business, for example, may claim lost profits over a period, or an injured person may claim wages and income lost during a period of physical recovery from injury. Damages for lost income, lost profits or lost business opportunities are generally taxable because they are considered replacement income to the winning party.

Apr 17, 2013, 07:31 PM
    NOTE: Whether you have to pay tax on the court award or legal settlement depends on what it is for. After Aug 20, 1996 a legal settlement or court award received is only tax free if on account of physical injury or physical sickness. Include the following as ordinary taxable income on your tax return: Breach of contract; Compensation for lost wages or lost profits in most cases; Punitive damages; Damages for:Patent or copyright infringement;Breach of contract; Interference with business operations; Any legal settlement or court award under the Age Discrimination in Employment Act. Do not include in your taxable income on your tax return a legal settlement or court award for compensatory damages for personal physical injury or physical sickness.

Emotional distress is not considered a physical injury or sickness; therefore, a legal settlement or court award for emotional distress is includable in taxable income on your tax return. However, a legal settlement or court award up to the amount paid for medical care expenses attributable to emotional distress are tax free and do not need to be included on your tax return. I guess you may attach an explanation statement to your tax return along with a copy of the 1099 explaining what the Form 1099 is for, and claiming exemption from taxable income. Please visit the IRS Website; or you may contact a CPA/EA in your local area for more accurate info in detail.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p17.pdf
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2013, 07:45 AM
    Junoo, I have no idea why you're not understanding this. I work in the legal field; I know all about taxable and non-taxable "settlements;" I am an independent contractor and know all about 1099's. My very specific question was that I have never seen this type of Court award - a refund of professinal fees - listed on a 1099 form.

There is no question that this was reported to the IRS. Remember, I got a 1099? The question is why. There is no question that it's reportable income to me. The question is why.

I have no idea why you are explaining how watches are made when I simply asked for the time.

My other problem is that you are plagerizing, which is very specifically not allowed.

Apr 18, 2013, 08:51 AM
    [QUOTE=JudyKayTee;3445278] My very specific question was that I have never seen this type of Court award - a refund of professinal fees - listed on a 1099 form.

I see; sorry for my misunderstanding. My bad. Thanks a lot for your feedback.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Aon a 1099-misc. Do I report this as taxable income. If so how? [ 1 Answers ]

As a grad student, I did a internship at a school and received stipends from a WIA grant project through the MN Valley Action Council in mankato. Is this taxable income? I received a 1099 - misc, and the stipend is in box 7 under nonemployee compensation. How do I add it to my Fed income report?...

How to report scholarship income from 1099 MISC [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am an international student from India on a F1 visa to US university. In 2008, I received a scholarship for conducting research in my lab from a research organization. I have received a 1099 misc from the organization which awarded this scholarship. I know that I need to fill 1040Nr EZ. I...

How to report both 1099-MISC and W-2 [ 1 Answers ]

My wife (an U.S. resident and Ph.D student) received a Teaching Assistatnship for 2007 - 2008 academic year and a Fellowship for 2008 - 2009 academic year from her department. For 2008 tax purposes, she received both 1099-MISC and W-2 forms. The amount on 1099-MISC (box #3) represents the entire...

1099-MISC how to report it. [ 2 Answers ]

I have 2 1099-MISC forms I need to enter but it keeps taking me to a self employment page and asks me what my business name and other things are. I don't not own a business I just did some contract work for another business. Also does the income on my 1099-MISC count toward my gross yearly income?

How to report income on 1099-Misc? [ 1 Answers ]

I got both W2 & 1099-Misc (Box 7. Nonemployee Compensation) from my employer. When I entered 1099-Misc income in TurboTax, it produced a Form 4137 (social security & medicare tax on unreported tip income). The income reported on 1099-Misc is not unreported tip income, but performance based bonus...

View more questions Search