Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bottleman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2013, 12:34 AM
    Electric Motors single phase vs 3 phase or maybe 2?
    I am building an electrical bottle crusher. Currently the commercial products I have seen, studied all use a SINGLE PHASE motor, but I want my bottle crusher to have the ability to go forward, and crush bottles, but also to go backwards, only briefly for any potential clogs or jams. The operation I envision is similar to a paper shredder, where you go forward and shred 99% of the time but need the ability to go backwards to unjam and then reshred something.

I want this motor to be SMALL, CHEAP and EFFECTIVE>

My question is do I need a 3 phase motor to accomplish this?

Can you recommend a particular one?

Do you have any other suggestions to assist me.

Thank you.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2013, 05:12 AM
    Single phase motors have the ability to reverse, as well as 3 phase, I would stick to single phase as it is Everywhere and residences.
    3 Phase is usually Commercial. Depending on how large of an area, or required force to crush, will determine which size of motor.
    I wonder if it could provide a little impact as well as steady pressure, may be able to get away with less force?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2013, 09:55 AM
    How big a crusher are we talking about? A big commercial unit? Do you have 3 phase available? With most crushers, the reversing is done through a hydraulic valve. The motor turns one way, the valve reverses the piston. Give us a little more info. Please.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2013, 07:01 AM
    A Poor mans way could be to take an elevator to a height, and drop them into a container with steel bars across, shattering bottles as they drop?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ac electric motors three phase to single phase [ 1 Answers ]

I believe I can run a 3 phase motor (induction) off 240v single phase, I suppose I will lose some effeciency/speed , torque etc,can you elaborate

Difference between single phase and 3-phase motors [ 4 Answers ]

Difference between single phase and 3-phase motors

Comparison between single phase motors & three phase motors [ 3 Answers ]

Why single phase motors draws more current than three phase motors

Why three phase motors are more efficient than single phase [ 1 Answers ]

So I did a science fair project on motors. Their efficiency and other stuff. I know three phase motors are more efficient than single phase but I don't know why. Can anyone help?

View more questions Search