Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    leadea Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2013, 11:06 AM
    Back pain
    The past three weeks I've had a chronic lower back pain in my right lower back it goes up my back in a diagonal pattern to my left shoulder causing my left arm to go numb along with my middle finger what should I do
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2013, 11:56 AM
    Hi leadea... have you visited your Doctor about this?

You say it is very low back pain travelling up your back and down your arm causing numbness,my immediate thought is a trapped nerve which of course would affect other parts of the body.This could also be various other things... maybe a disc problem or vertibra or even a twisted pelvic bone .

I suffer from severe back problems which have similar symptoms to your own... base of the spine,tingling down the arms,numbness also very cold.Mine being a twisted pelvic bone.

Usually a back injury is caused by lifting something to heavy or continuelly lifting in the wrong way for a period,however if you already have some sort of weakness or maybe a past injury just the slightest of movements can also put your back out.

I personally went to see a chiropractor the pain being unbearable,she was brilliant and would highly recommend a visit to one if you can,firstly though I think you should make an appointment to see your Doctor who will be able to give you a correct diagnoses.

A few tips to relieve your pain.
    Icepacks for 15 minutes every hour work very well for inflammation and pain relief.
    Take things very slowly small steps rather than large,turn your whole body to reach something,do not twist around without moving your feet.Support the back properly don't slouch.

Takecare
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2013, 11:58 AM
    Because it is radiating into your left shoulder and arm you should go to the hospital. This can be a sign of heart problems. It probably is not that, but because it can be a sign you are approaching heart attack, this symptom should never be ignored or put off even an hour.

It could also be a pinched nerve, slipped disk, shoulder problem, appendicitis - lots of things could cause the pain you're describing. There are enough of them that can become very serious that you shoudn't mess around trying to figure it out - go to the ER. If it's nothing, at least you'll know. If it's serious, you won't have wasted valuable time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lower back pain on right side with pain shooting into my and down my leg with burning [ 2 Answers ]

I was doing leg presses at the gym when I felt excruciating pain in my right lower back with pain that shot down my leg. I could barely walk but manage to make to my car and drive home. Needless to say the pain I experienced just from driving was horrific! I needed help getting out of the car when...

What is the cause of my back pain and lower back stomach and more pain ? [ 1 Answers ]

Lower back and lower intestent stomach hard trouble usine the bathroom and my rib cage

Pain in are lower quadrant-not back pain hx with chronic back could this be gyn [ 0 Answers ]

I suffer from chronic severe back pain. Recently I have been experiencing are lower quardrant pain this pain has become severe- can tell- getting up from sitting.is very painful that I have to try several attempts to get up because is so severe. Sitting is good as long as I don't have to get up. I...

Fourteen year old with allover back pain and coccyx pain from skiing fall [ 3 Answers ]

In February this year I went skiing for 2 weeks in waterville valley, New Hampshire, USA - a few days into the second week an inexperienced skiier like myself lost control and cut me up causing me to fall and I landed fiercely on a bit of ice which -just like when you fall on your bum or knock it-...

How do I treat bunion-related foot pain that is also creating severe back pain? [ 5 Answers ]

I began using orthotics some months back to relieve severe foot pain - the result of two toes that are not in alignment. I found some relief, but I've recently experienced sharp, stabbing pain in my lower back and upper thigh. I am trying to find the connection, but the doctors I've seen either...

View more questions Search