Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MelanieRay Posts: 70, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2013, 08:37 AM
    Is surgically removing wisdom teeth nescesary?
    My son is 17, soon to be 18. We have a consultation next Friday to discuss having all 4 of his wisdom teeth surgically removed. None of them have broken through yet. I only glanced at the x-rays but they looked pretty straight to me. Ive read about the pain they can cause if they become impacted but no one in my family or my husbands has gone through it. All of us have had them grow out but, no one remembers when. Ive read that they come in between the ages of 16 and 25 so, isn't 18 to soon to go through something so drastic?

I would like opinions please.
    leen321 Posts: 60, Reputation: 3

Apr 12, 2013, 08:51 AM
    Both my children had their wisdom teeth out at about the same age.. finishing orthodontia treatment. Did they take a Panorex view of his teeth? From what I understood from our general dentist this was key to make sure the oral surgeon would be aware of where the nerves pass through and around the teeth in the jaw/maxilla region. My children had no real problems except for the usual pain/swelling. No dry sockets and recovery was relatively quick... few days, although their wisdom teeth were partially erupted. Impacted wisdom teeth could be more painful. I would suggest you ask for an antibiotic after the procedure and use an oral surgeon experienced in wisdom teeth removal. Possibly your dentist is concerned, if he had orthodontia treatment, that as the wisdom teeth erupt they could possibly push his straightened teeth forward or sideways even. This is all just my opinion. If unsure whether this is necessary, I would seek a 2nd opinion from another dentist or oral surgeon
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 12, 2013, 10:06 AM
    You can't generalize about wisdom teeth.
    Wait to see what happens. You certainly can postpone it while you think about it, especially in regard to finances.
    I never got any. I was congenitally missing at least 4 other teeth too, as was my mother.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2013, 11:33 AM
    Some people need to get them out and some don't. It depends in part on whether there's room in the individuals' mouth for them, and so on. I only had three to start with, had to get one out and left the other two alone because they weren't causing any problems.

You should defer to your dentist and if you're not confident of the decision, see another dentist or surgeon for a second opinion.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wisdom teeth [ 2 Answers ]

Is it possible for my 11 year old to be getting wisdom teeth? It hurts when she chews and in pain in the jaw so much pain that she is in tears

Why am I having pain in my regular teeth after I got all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I just got my wisdom teeth removed 5 days ago. I wanted to know when I would be able to lay flat in bed? I have been propping up my head with pillows for the past 4 nights and wanted to know when is a good time to start sleeping normally. Also, I am having a lot of pain in my lower left side of...

Five wisdom teeth. [ 8 Answers ]

So, I've needed my wisdom teeth out for a little while now. I have five wisdome teeth but none of them have erupted yet. My face swells up sometimes and I can't eat.. they cause a lot of pain. Not all the time though. They just act up at times. I've lost my insurance now and the dentist had told me...

Wisdom teeth! [ 7 Answers ]

Hello all! I have to get my wisdom teeth out in two weeks... all four of them at once! (im 21yrs old)I am kind of nervous! I am getting the level IV sedation which means they knock you out, more or less. Anyway, for the pain afterwards my oral surgeron prescribed vicodin... my mom is like,...

Wisdom Teeth [ 14 Answers ]

My son had his 4 wisdom teeth and 4 back molars removed yesterday. He has kept the gause on nad changed as needed. He has now put the tea bags on the spot since it is still bleeding. Is this normal? Should he put the gause back in? I do not want him to get dry sockets as I have heard that this...

View more questions Search