Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hannahrath Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2013, 08:53 PM
    how to debate against Gandhi's influence and impact
    I am in a tournament for my western civilization class. The tournament is called "Most Influential Leader Tournament." You are randomly given a leader from a division based on your class period. I'm the 5th seed with Ataturk, founder of Turkey, against the 1st seed with Gandhi. It does not matter if the person did good or bad things; it matters if they were influential. I will be graded on these 6 critiques: impact, influence, inspiration, presentation, goals met, & uniqueness of the person.
    Not only do I need to fight for Ataturk, I also very much need to defend him and fight against Gandhi.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 11, 2013, 09:04 PM
    What I would do I make a chart with major items like laws or family life or business or government or whatever he influenced listed on the side of the chart. Then I would read everything I could about him and fill in the chart. That will giving you your debating points.
    smkanand Posts: 602, Reputation: 56

Apr 12, 2013, 04:20 AM
    Try to find the positive traits and influence of Ataturk, his achievements, methods, personality etc. his influence on particular community, people, region etc.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 12, 2013, 04:34 AM
    It will be difficult to argue against Gandhi.
    I don't understand why defending one influential person requires going against another, when they weren't fighting each other or competing for anything. This isn't a debate about pros and cons of something like eating meat, where one side is truly 'against' the other in debate.
    I would say so.
    I don't care for this 'debate' particularly, if it really is as you say. Present your arguments for most influential on the person's merits, and refuse to malign the other influential person.
    hannahrath Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2013, 04:45 PM
    My teacher told us to be able to fight against the opponent's influence.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 16, 2013, 04:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hannahrath View Post
    my teacher told us to be able to fight against the opponent's influence.
    Then make a chart with Gandhi heading one column and Ataturk heading the second column with the various spheres of influence running down the left. Compare and contrast to make your case.

Influences... Gandhi... Ataturk
    violence
    Human rights
    Religion
    Culture
    Race
    Politics

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I debate this? [ 1 Answers ]

I am new to the whole debating thing. I have a debate tomorrow, about why it's important to have exams in school. I need to show that it is important. What are some points I should state? And what are some points my oponants will stress on? Please help. Thank you

Islamic influence [ 9 Answers ]

Adab, First of all I don't want to hurt anyone's feeling. I wanted to know that why A common Islam follower become a terrorist. On the other hand Islam teaches Pyar, Mohabbat, Ibadat, Tehjeeb, Rahem and many things. Why the Atankwadi says that after killing the inncoent women, men, child...

Valuation - Gandhi Postcard [ 0 Answers ]

I own a postcard that was written by Mahatma Gandhi. It's dated 1926. What would it be worth if I were to sell it?

The debate [ 26 Answers ]

Hello: I think McCain kicked Obama's butt. You? Obama looked so ineffectual. He kept meekly raising his hand, like the defendants do on Judge Judy. It was a sorry performance. He's not a fighter. excon

View more questions Search