Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lancelot82 Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2013, 08:22 PM
    How to prove travel expenses for a consultant job?
    I have been working as a technical consultant for a company. I am planning to use my travels (mileage) to the company from my home as deductibles. I have been recording the dates for the travels. However I still do not understand how the info in my notebook will be considered as a proof for the travels. Do I need additional documents to prove the travels?

Thanks,
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 12, 2013, 12:11 AM
    The commuting miles from home to work/office and back are not deductible. If you go to meet clients from office and return back to office, these miles are deductible.
    For 2012, the standard mileage rates for the use of a car (also vans, pickups or panel trucks) are:
    55.5 cents per mile for business miles driven.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 12, 2013, 06:25 AM
    For business mileage in general if you keep a contemporaneous log of mileage the IRS will accept it as proof. Of course they may want to review it - and if it seems that all your mileage is "business" without a reasonable mix of personal use they may question it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Deducting travel expenses [ 2 Answers ]

I work at a remote site in Alaska, while there my accommodation is provided by my employer (there is no private accommodation at this site, no homes, etc). I live in Alabama. Is deducting my travel expense legitimate? By the normal IRS defination of tax home that would be the site in Alaska, does...

Travel Expenses of Minor [ 2 Answers ]

When a father has visitation rights, but the child lives in NY and he lives in PR, who has to pay for the travel expenses?

Travel expenses [ 3 Answers ]

My DH is now self-employed and I am so confused with all the tax stuff. He gets $20 a day per diem through the company. Now the crew that he is on for contracting is my uncle (superintendent), my DH and my cousin. They work out of state all week and are home on weekends. My question is this. ...

Executor of Will - Travel Expenses [ 2 Answers ]

My mother is Executrix of her mother's will. My mother lives in California; my grandmother resided in NY. When my grandmother died, my mother had to fly to NY and stay in NY in order to deal with her estate. There was no fee mentioned in the will for the Executor, but does my mother, as...

Divorce - travel expenses [ 2 Answers ]

I was divorced in the State of Rhode Island. My ex has since moved to PA and I now live in New York City. Currently, I take care of all travel and travel expenses during child visitation. I want my ex to provide half. Would a judge typically award this?

View more questions Search