Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2013, 08:07 PM
    Polybutylene water heaters
    A prominent plumbing supply facility in my area is encouraging the use of polybutyline water heaters with lifetime warranties. Isn't this the same material that was involved in class action lawsuits involving piping over the past 15 or so years? Some references I have read say that the problem with the piping was a reaction between chlorine and the polybutyline. If that is correct, wouldn't it be expected that these heaters would just be even more problems?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 12, 2013, 11:58 AM
    Hi Smearcase

Are you talking about the MARATHON electric water heaters? If so, then these appear to be a decent setup, especially with the lifetime warranty!

In terms of the polybutylene, I think they have managed to work the kinks out over the years now, or I guarantee they wouldn't be selling these with lifetime warranties!

I've installed a number of these water heaters and have had great success to date, but the fact remains that tanks fail... even ones warrantied for life. That the tank will get replaced free of charge is attractive!

If you have any other questions about the PB, call the water heater manufacturer's tech. department and discuss with them... can't hurt!

Mark
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2013, 01:21 PM
    Thanks Mark.
    Do you have any estimate of how long ago you installed the first Marathon?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 12, 2013, 03:22 PM
    I think my first one was about 8-10 years ago is my best recollection... when they first came out. I was at the customer's house a few months back and everything looked as good as when I installed it!

Hopefully, others on the page will have some experience with these!
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2013, 05:41 PM
    Sounds good. I didn't realize they had been around that long.
    Thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can shutting the main water supply off and draining the system drain water heaters [ 4 Answers ]

We have a 2 story building with multiple suites and some of the suites have water heaters. We need to shut the water down and drain the system to replace a backflow. Can this cause the water heaters to drain?? The shut off between the backflow and the building is old and we are afraid it may...

Water heaters [ 1 Answers ]

How to convert natural gas water heater to propane?

Water heaters [ 5 Answers ]

I am replacing my water heater and I have 2 ground wires and only one will fit under the screw. Is it appropriate to take the uncoded copper wire,cut it short and wrap electrical tape around it?

GE One Of The Best Water Heaters? [ 4 Answers ]

We are in need of replacing our 20+-year old water heater which is 40 gal, 4500 Watt, Tall. Could any of you tell us if GE vs. Whirlpool is better? Also, what would be the recommended way to go for electric water heaters, if the above choices are not good? Thanks for your time! God Bless, ...

Water heaters vs. Tankless water heaters [ 1 Answers ]

Just curious about advantages of tankless over a traditional water heater.

View more questions Search