Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dmgiraitis3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2013, 07:50 PM
    401K Loan - Termination - Disbursement - State Income Tax
    In 2006 I took out a $45K loan from my 401K to purchase a house in Florida. 4 years later I transferred to Colorado and was laid off in 2012. I could not pay off the loan but since I was 60 I simply told them to treat it as a disbursement. I don't mind paying the federal tax, but do I have to pay Colorado State Income Tax on the money - I received the money 4 years before I moved to Colorado. Why should they profit at my misfortune?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 12, 2013, 12:22 AM
    You should get 1099-R from the company when it actually treats it as a disbursement. In the year of disbursement if you are a resident of Colorado, you will pay Colorado state tax.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 12, 2013, 06:20 AM
    You took a disbursement while a resident of CO, so that's why CO can tax it. If you're thinking that the disbursement should somehow be retroactive to four years ago when you received the loan money - the problem with that idea is that the money was not really "yours" then - it was a loan, a debt that you owed, not income. You defaulted on the loan 4 years later, and at that moment the money changed from being a debt to an asset. Same thing happens when a credit card loan is forgiven - it counts as income at the time of forgiveness, not at the time that the charges where made on the card.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Employer in Nebraska wants to collect income tax but I live in state w/out income tax [ 0 Answers ]

Hello, new employer whose office is based in Nebraska. I do not live or work in Nebraska. This is a fed gov't agency. They tell me they will collect Nebraska states income tax from my pay. How can they do that? I do spend about 3 weeks a year at the office in Nebraska, staying in a motel while...

State Income Tax & State Disability Tax field on tax forms [ 3 Answers ]

With someone working out of state, is the "SIT/SDI state" field on a tax payroll form mean the state that the person is working in, or the state that he lives in?

Federal corporate income tax treatment on state income tax return [ 0 Answers ]

I know that federal corporation tax is deductible on state corporate tax returns but not on federal corporate returns, but is it deductible on state corporate returns? You may generalize your answer or you may limit it to Florida Form F-1120 if you like. I have been told that it can but I can't...

State income tax and local income tax in W2 Form [ 2 Answers ]

I know "state income tax" in W2 is the state income withholding" used for state tax return. But what will "local income tax" in W2 be used for?

State Income Tax due on 401K Hardship Withdrawal? [ 1 Answers ]

I made a hardship withdrawal from my 401K in 2007 and also held money back for federal taxes on it. I work in NY and live in NJ (100% of my income is from NY). My question is to which state is the amount of my withdrawal taxable to? In other words, which state do I have to pay income taxes...

View more questions Search