Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    luckyyellowhog Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2013, 07:05 PM
    International Student self employment tax
    Hello,

I am currently working out my taxes and would appreciate any advice!
    I am an international student on OPT and have just filed my taxes for last year as I had a small paying internship, so submitted my W2.

As of January this year I am freelancing/ self employed until I go back to college in September. Is it correct I should submit a 1040-ES NR from and an 8843 form with it?

I am also confused as to how I am meant to estimate my earning for this year which I believe I will have to do? Shall I just be conservative and times what I have made so far this year by 3 (seeing as I am only working from Jan-Sept)? Will I only mention how much I expect to make not how much I have made so far?

Many thanks in advance for any help!
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 12, 2013, 12:27 AM
    For five years on F-1 (including OPT) you are nonresident. During that period you do not pay self employment tax. You will complete schedule C or C-EZ (Form 1040) but you do not need to fill schedule SE. Your U.S. Tax Return: Tax Filing by Self Employed Sole Proprietor or Independent Contractor

Apr 12, 2013, 05:47 AM
    Many thanks MukatA!
    Do you know if I also fill out the 1040NR or ONLY the Schedule C?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 13, 2013, 11:39 AM
    You file the Schedule C WITH Form 1040NR.

Apr 13, 2013, 11:47 AM
    Thanks AtlantaTaxExpert! May I ask you another questions? I recently did a small paid internship last summer and received my w-2, which I filed this year with TurboTax. Do I have to file it again with the 1040NR and Schedule C? Do I include the earnings from that as well as myself employment earnings on the 1040NR? Many thanks,
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 13, 2013, 12:30 PM
    You filed incorrectly.

You need to AMEND the 2012 return, using Form 1040X and attaching the Form 1040NR and the Schedule C. You include the internship W-2 on the amendment.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

International student tax [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, is it possible to know how much refund I could get after getting about 30 thousand dollars on my 1098-T form.

International Student (f1) Tax Return? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm an international student (f1) in New Jersey and I have been in the US for 2 years. I worked on campus in 2010. I understand that I need to file 1040NR EZ & 8843 form. Are there any other forms that I need to file?

1099 Tax International Student [ 1 Answers ]

I am an international student. I have a W2 from 2 employers and a 1099 Misc. from another employer. I qualify as a non-resident alien. The following is my question. On the 1099, it doesn't pay me as wages, but as self-employment compensation. What is the state and federal tax that I would incur...

Tax query International student, bank income, tax rebate [ 2 Answers ]

1.Came from overseas, previously worked and saved some money, now a student with no employment; income being only the interest from bank. 2.How to pay tax on this since I do not have W-2, no withholding etc. 3. If someone goes back home overseas, now out of status but still has funds in US...

F1 visa student - self employment- 1099 tax form [ 13 Answers ]

I am a phd international student in Houston Texas. I am a citizen of Tunisia. I joined the program in fall 2005 and I am on campus employee. I am starting my second year now. I am filling W2 form for tax. I have an opportunity to gain extra income as self employed or independent contractor from...

View more questions Search