Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pissedtennant Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2013, 07:00 PM
    Can putting a cupboard with vent over the control panel make an AC ice up in an hour?
    I rent a commercial property and my AC broke down.

The landlord is trying to say I have to pay the $1200 to fix it because I put a cupboard with the back cut out over the control panel/thermostat.

However as stated on the invoice it was a faulty blower fan wheel that caused the air-conditioner to ice up, there was no mention of the thermostat being housed in the cupboard.

I don't believe I'm at fault for the air-conditioning breaking down because:

The thermostat had been located in the cupboard for over two months before the air-conditioning broke down with no issues.

The day the air-conditioning broke down I turned the air-conditioner on at 5.30am and by 7am it had broken down, I don't believe there is any way it could have over worked and iced up due the thermostat being in the cupboard in such a short amount of time. If it had been working overtime trying to cool the room due to the thermostat reading being incorrect, the room it's self would have been very cold which it wasn't, the room never cooled down more than a couple of degrees before it broke down.

The air-conditioner is set to manual operation on this setting the air-conditioner is turned on and off by myself, it's not set to run all day on the timer. I simply turn the air-conditioning off when the room is cool enough. The air-conditioner was not left on overnight eithier.

The air-conditioning system is very old and I found out it was broken when I leased the building needing major repairs and as the AC technician has said to to me numerous times the system is old and should be replaced as they don't stock parts for it any more and there are always issues with the system.

It clearly states on the invoice that it was a faulty blower fan that caused the air-conditioner to ice up, not the location of the thermostat.

Am I right in thinking that the AC broke because of a faulty part not because of where the AC panel was housed?
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2013, 08:01 PM
    A thermostat needs/has to be able to get the ambient room temperature air passed by it or it will never get satisfied therefor the unit will run nonstop therefor causing the ac and fan/blower to run continuous, which could cause it to overheat slowdown or stop running thus causing the evaporater to ice up and then the condenser will iceover/freeze up,and could cause damage,, Sounds like a good case for Judge Judy,, and you might loose your court case,, sorry
    pissedtennant Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2013, 02:23 AM
    Can it over work it's self in an hour and a half and why was it operating with no problems for 2 months before it broke down?
    Is it possible that something else caused the AC to ice up?
    Quote Originally Posted by wmproop View Post
    a thermostat needs/has to be able to get the ambient room temperture air passed by it or it will never get satisfied therefor the unit will run nonstop therefor causing the ac and fan/blower to run continous,,which could cause it to overheat slowdown or stop running thus causing the evaporater to ice up and then the condenser will iceover/freeze up,and could cause damage,,,,,,Sounds like a good case for Judge Judy,,,and you might loose your court case,,,sorry
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2013, 01:37 PM
    Sure there are other possibilitys, but not being there, it would be hard to say, would be impossible now that the fan/blower is not working
    Grady White Posts: 1,417, Reputation: 59
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2013, 06:47 PM
    I'm going to respectfully disagree with wmproop. The blower should be able to run 24/7/365 without problems.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you test the motor or the control panel for the fresh air vent? [ 0 Answers ]

The fresh air vent alarm is going off how do you test the control pannel to know if it is the control pannel or the motor on top?

Is there any way to make the IMC701 Samsung Ice Maker make ice faster? [ 0 Answers ]

I have a GE Profile Armoir refer. And it has a IMC 701 Samsung Ice Maker. It has a dispenser in the door and it all appears to work correctly. The problem is the ice maker is so slow. It should make a tray of ice every 75 to 120 min. and it don't even come close. The ice cubes are full size so it...

How do I take the Ice/Water control panel off a GE side by Side refrigerator [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to resolve a no water issue for my water dispenser. I get water to the dispenser tube in the door, but the tube is either blocked (Frozen?) or if you know the refrigerator, does the solenoid shown in the door assembly also effect the water flow? If I can get the assembly out, I can...

Sub zero ice maker continues to make ice now ice drawer is stuck [ 0 Answers ]

The ice maker in my sub zero model 561 has continued to make ice even though the switch has been turned off. Now the ice drawer is jammed and the ice maker is jammed with ice cubes stuck together. How can I open the drawer and what can I do to fix this issue?

View more questions Search