Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Walk Away Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2013, 02:56 PM
    Walk Away Moving to another Country
    I'm moving to another country and I'm thinking about walking away from all my debts here, my house, my cars, and all credit debt. I have a home already paid off in another country and do not ever plan on living in the US again. I may come back to visit from time to time what can happen to me if I return after walking away from all of my debts and starting over in another country. I could pay off everything but I'm choosing to use the money I save from walking away to pay for my new items in another country.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 11, 2013, 04:07 PM
    A debt is not only a legal but an ethical obligation. To "walk away" from a legal debt is, in essence, thievery.

For us to help you commit thievery would be a violation of this sites rules.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 11, 2013, 05:06 PM
    Another country probably will have, I think, something similar to the use of credit reporting agencies by those banks, merchants, etc. thinking about extending credit.

And, in theory, it is possible to bring suit against OP in that other country.

If judgment creditors catch OP when s/he visits here, they may seize his/her assets, bank accounts, even travelers checks, I suppose.

Come to think of it, it is possble that, if OP's bank has a presence in the U.S. judgment creditors could, in theory, levy on a foreign bank account even if the OP is abroad.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Moving out of country [ 2 Answers ]

From usa going back to philippines can't afford to pay credits of $17,500 what is my penalty

Moving to another country [ 1 Answers ]

I'm considering moving to France. What steps do I need to take to do so legally? I'm not necessarily interested in gaining citizenship at this point, just living in France for a year or so.

I was never provided a walk through inspection prior to moving in [ 3 Answers ]

I moved in to a condo 10 months ago that is owned by my friends mother and my friend was already residing there. My wife an I signed a 6 month lease. I paid first months rent of $700.00 and a $700.00 security deposit. The landlord never conducted a walkthrough inspection with me prior to my move...

Moving to a different Country. [ 4 Answers ]

Not sure where to put this, but I'm a teen and I could use advice from adults or people with experience. I'm trying to do a bit of research on this here and there so here goes. I always had this dream to go to Japan. I'm very serious and would take the opportunity. Since as far back in my...

View more questions Search