Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    K_Plemmons Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2013, 02:46 PM
    Can I sue my apartment complex?
    Hello,
    I am having some trouble. I was living in an apartment complex that has been foreclosed. I moved in July 16 2012, I paid $1,100 to move in. (First &Last months rent plus security deposit.) My lease was not due for renewal until July 16 2013. The apartment was foreclosed on in Dec. 2012 We were forced to leave.

I was paying $450.00 for rent plus my light bill which was separate. We were not given notice to leave until the day of. Is this legal? Can I sue them?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 11, 2013, 02:51 PM
    Sure you can sue them, but the question is, will you get anything? The apartment complex was foreclosed on. In other words, they couldn't pay the mortgage. If they had no money to do that, it's unlikely they have any money to give you if you sue and win. You'll be out the costs to sue, and likely will never see a dime even if you do win. You can't get blood from a stone.

What State do you live in, as laws vary by state. Have you looked up the laws for tenants rights in your area?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 11, 2013, 04:02 PM
    You probably will not win such a suit. The reason is because you seem to have voluntarily moved. Since you didn't define how they "forced" you to leave. All you said was they gave you notice to leave immediately.

Had you refused to leave and they used physical force to make you leave, or changed locks or shut off utilities, you would have a very viable suit and, possible, a criminal action. But if all they did was give you notice and you then left, that may leave you without grounds.

I will say that it was illegal to give you notice. You had a lease and the foreclosure doesn't change that. But to help you we need more details.

Who gave you notice? What state do you live in? What did the notice say? Were all other tenants "forced" to leave? Define what "force" was used.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 11, 2013, 05:22 PM
    Who took ownership and why was your lease not honored?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 12, 2013, 05:07 AM
    No, well you can but this issue is, you should have just refused to leave. They can not force you out, you have time frame, have to be given legal written notice, and more.

So all of your rights happened before you moved
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2013, 10:04 AM
    I agree - the time to seek advice was before you were forced to leave.

How were you forced out?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 13, 2013, 05:28 AM
    You did read this thread, right? Under Federal law, you could not be legally forced to leave until the lease is up.

But as far as suing "the apartment complex", no. You might sue whoever owned the complex, but they may be judgment proof or, if a corporation, dissolved.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can my apartment complex do this? [ 3 Answers ]

My apartment complex informed me this morning that there would be an inspection of our apartment. They didn't tell me about it when we signed the lease in November. But they tell me that if we don't pass inspection, we can be kicked out? Its just a normal every day apartment complex. Its not...

My apartment complex is being foreclosed on [ 1 Answers ]

I was just told by my rental property maintenance man that he was let go because the complex was being foreclosed on. I went to the rental office, and a closed sign has been taped to the door. The drop box for paying rent is coverd with a wooden board. No one is answering the office phone and...

Duties of the apartment complex [ 8 Answers ]

Someone had broke into my apartment a few weeks ago I approached the apartment complex management and told them and asked them to repair the window which they had come through which was my daughters window and they said it was not their resposibilty is this correct?

Re-wiring an old apartment complex [ 3 Answers ]

A little background before I start asking questions. The building in question is a 4 apartment building, 2 on the first floor and 2 on the second floor. Currently they have 60A service each with the main 60A breaker being on the power companies meter outside with an 8 slot sub panel of sorts for...

Can't an Apartment Complex Do this? [ 1 Answers ]

I am in louisville, KY. I have lived in my apartment for a year and 6 months. I have never been late, never had any problems here. The second year I did sign a year lease because they do not do month to month. I recently put an offer on a house and it was accepted. I gave my apartment complex 41...

View more questions Search