Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Joyce59 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2013, 12:13 PM
    Kidney
    I am a diabete,for the second day in a row I am have back pain.going from one side to the other.any ideas.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2013, 12:18 PM
    Are you a dialysis patient?

I am a widow due to Diabetes and kidney involvement. This is absolutely nothing to play around with - call your Physican! Now!

Apr 11, 2013, 12:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Are you a dialysis patient?

I am a widow due to Diabetes and kidney involvement. This is absolutely nothing to play around with - call your Physican! Now!
    no I am not.just hit me all of a sudden yesterday .
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2013, 12:26 PM
    Call, please call. Don't take a chance. I'm sure you are aware of the stastics when it's Diabetes and kidney problems. Fingers crossed this is nothing serious - but, please, don't take a chance.

My husband was an educated man, well versed in Diabetes, took no chances - and by the time he went on Dialysis it was (pretty much) too late.

Please - call your Doctor.

And, please, honestly, come back and let me know what he/she says.

Apr 11, 2013, 12:47 PM
    Call, please call. Don't take a chance. I'm sure you are aware of the stastics when it's Diabetes and kidney problems. Fingers crossed this is nothing serious - but, please, don't take a chance.

My husband was an educated man, well versed in Diabetes, took no chances - and by the time he went on Dialysis it was (pretty much) too late.

Please - call your Doctor.

And, please, honestly, come back and let me know what he/she says.
    I will thank you so much,just called doctor,waiting on a call back.
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2013, 01:02 PM
    Excellent - I'm truly hoping (and believe) it's nothing... but why take the chance?

Thanks for making the call. Lots of people ask for advice and then don't want to hear it.

And I know my experience is scary, really scary, when people first hear it. I do the best I can to make people aware that Diabetes isn't something like a cold or eating too much sugar, that it's a serious disease. Do you find that people don't understand?

Apr 11, 2013, 02:33 PM
    Excellent - I'm truly hoping (and believe) it's nothing ... but why take the chance?

Thanks for making the call. Lots of people ask for advice and then don't want to hear it
    And I know my experience is scary, really scary, when people first hear it. I do the best I can to make people aware that Diabetes isn't something like a cold or eating too much sugar, that it's a serious disease. Do you find that people don't understand?
    Yes I do.doc.just called sending me antibiotics.just wondering if I should do anything else.I am afraid it may be kidney stones.never had them so I don't know the symptoms.
    Any experience in them?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 11, 2013, 02:36 PM
    Kidney stones can cause back pain, but so can kidney disease, and many other things.

Did your doctor just prescribe antibiotics over the phone without seeing you?

Apr 11, 2013, 02:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Kidney stones can cause back pain, but so can kidney disease, and many other things.

Did your doctor just prescribe antibiotics over the phone without seeing you?
    Yes.appt.in the am.
    Pets Expert

Apr 11, 2013, 02:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Joyce59 View Post
    Yes.appt.in the am.
    I'm still shocked that he would prescribe antibiotics without seeing you, without running any tests, but simply from a phone call. That's extremely risky when you don't know what's going on with your patient.

Good luck. I hope everything is okay.

Apr 11, 2013, 02:55 PM
    I'm still shocked that he would prescribe antibiotics without seeing you, without running any tests, but simply from a phone call. That's extremely risky when you don't know what's going on with your patient.

Good luck. I hope everything is okay.
    He's been my doc for years.and he knows my history.I can say I trust my doc.thanks..
    Pets Expert

Apr 11, 2013, 03:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Joyce59 View Post
    He's been my doc for years.and he knows my history.i can say i trust my doc.thanks..
    I've been with my doctor for over 15 years. I have a thyroid condition that requires daily medication, I've had this condition for over 13 years. When I need a refill I cannot get it over the phone, I have to go in to see my doctor, even though he knows about my condition, was the one that diagnosed it, and knows that I need this medication daily, I still need to go in to see him for a new prescription.

I've just never heard of a doctor prescribing medication to a patient, sight unseen, especially antibiotics, no matter how well the doctor knows you and your history. He's guessing that you have an infection. Guessing. Doctors don't guess, that's how they get sued.

I also wonder why he would prescribe antibiotics to you over the phone when you have an appointment to see him tomorrow morning. Why risk giving you medication you may not need, when he's going to see you tomorrow? It makes no sense.

If this is all true, I would suggest finding a new doctor.

Apr 11, 2013, 03:30 PM
    I've been with my doctor for over 15 years. I have a thyroid condition that requires daily medication, I've had this condition for over 13 years. When I need a refill I cannot get it over the phone, I have to go in to see my doctor, even though he knows about my condition, was the one that diagnosed it, and knows that I need this medication daily, I still need to go in to see him for a new prescription.

I've just never heard of a doctor prescribing medication to a patient, sight unseen, especially antibiotics, no matter how well the doctor knows you and your history. He's guessing that you have an infection. Guessing. Doctors don't guess, that's how they get sued.

I also wonder why he would prescribe antibiotics to you over the phone when you have an appointment to see him tomorrow morning. Why risk giving you medication you may not need, when he's going to see you tomorrow? It makes no sense.

If this is all true, I would suggest finding a new doctor.
    I made the appt.when I talked to the nurse.no I would never go though that again.I have seen so many docs.and I have not found one that is as caring as he is.their all about how many patients they can see in one day.no bedside compassion... so thanks but no thanks.
    Pets Expert

Apr 11, 2013, 04:13 PM
    I want to apologize to you.

I talked to a nurse (a member of this site) about medical practices in the US, and apparently it's not uncommon for doctors to prescribe medication over the phone.

Where I live that's unheard of, you have to go in, even if they know what's wrong.

I do hope that everything is okay, and that you get the treatment you need.

Good luck to you.
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2013, 06:49 PM
    My experience is that your Doctor is making sure if it's infection that it doesn't get any worse - thus the antibiotics, even short term. If it is an infection you will be catching it 24 hours (give or take) earlier.

Good that he is seeing you.

My experience with kidney stones is that the pain is unbearable and doesn't move.

I also suspect it's an infection - but, of course, that's just a guess.

Please let me know -

Apr 12, 2013, 09:25 AM
    My experience is that your Doctor is making sure if it's infection that it doesn't get any worse - thus the antibiotics, even short term. If it is an infection you will be catching it 24 hours (give or take) earlier.

Good that he is seeing you.

My experience with kidney stones is that the pain is unbearable and doesn't move.

I also suspect it's an infection - but, of course, that's just a guess.

Please let me know -
    Thanks everyone for your advice and concern.I have a kidney infection.hope it work soon.painful.
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2013, 10:03 AM
    Joyce, I never thought I'd be glad that anyone had a kidney infection, but in this case, I am!

I've been waiting for your response -

Please keep us informed.

Your Doctor is good. He sort of figured out what it was and started treatment immediately in light of your Diabetes. Good for him!

Apr 12, 2013, 10:22 AM
    Joyce, I never thought I'd be glad that anyone had a kidney infection, but in this case, I am!

I've been waiting for your response -

Please keep us informed.

Your Doctor is good. He sort of figured out what it was and started treatment immediately in light of your Diabetes. Good for him!
    Thanks Judy ,just wish the antibotics would work faster.its very painful.
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2013, 10:26 AM
    I know - I had a kidney infection about 2 years ago and really was in a lot of pain for about 3 days. Good you realized there was a problem and caught it fast!

In my case the Doctor kept saying bladder infection. I ended up in the ER and found out it was, indeed, a kidney infection.
    Pets Expert

Apr 12, 2013, 02:32 PM
    So glad that it's something that's easily fixed. :)

Keep us posted, and take your meds, it will get better soon.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kidney [ 2 Answers ]

I had my appendix taken out but my right side still hurt. I want to the doctor he said its my kidney. I got kelflex but it's not working what else can be wrong

Can a Kidney Infection turn into kidney failure answer needed asap [ 6 Answers ]

Can a Kidney Infection turn into Kidney Failure? I was hospitalized and put on antibiotics for 2-3 days but still was given antibiotics to go home with but if they aren't taken could the infection turn into kidney failure

I have had kidney cancer in my left kidney. [ 6 Answers ]

I had a kidney cancer operation at Sloan Kettering in NYC and all cancer was removed at that time. The surgeon was able to remove the cancer portion through a small hole and leave the rest of the kidney.I have my right kidney also. My creatinine level just tested at 1.9. I love to cook Italian and...

Kidney creatinine [ 1 Answers ]

Dear sir My bro's creatinine is rise 1 to 1.4 to 18.5 & blood urea increase 126 so what should I do in this case how I improve to decrease creatine & blood urea give me suitable advice.

View more questions Search