Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Destinyhope1993 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2013, 11:43 PM
    Birth parent rights
    My baby is being adopted and her brith father is fully aware of her but wants nothing to do with her. With that being said I didn't give her his last name and did not list him As her father. He won't sign anything can he get in the way of her adoption
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Apr 11, 2013, 12:11 AM
    There are several cases where the birth father reversed adoption because he was not informed/ did not give consent to adoption. / Baby Richard, Baby Jessica cases and recently there was a case in Nebraska/. I would suggest his rights to be terminated before adoption to take place.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 11, 2013, 03:17 AM
    What makes you think the court will approve the adoption without his consent? Don't the adoptive parents have an attorney preparing the adoption paperwork?

The court will require that the father be identified, that DNA testing be done (unless the father voluntarily acknowledges the child) and that the father agree to the adoption. It may be possible to have his rights terminated without his agreement. But you will have to prove that he was aware of the adoption and declined to be a part of it.

If the adoptive parents are smart, they won't proceed without his agreement.

And why wouldn't he sign the papers? If he wan'ts nothing to do with the child, this is his out. Once the adoption is final, then his connection to the child is severed. So its in his best interests to sign.

Like I said, the adoptive parents NEED an attorney to make sure the adoption is approved by the courts. You should also have your own attorney to represent you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 11, 2013, 03:20 AM
    The father will have to be notified and his approval asked for, to get the adoption though.

And yes, he could stop the adoption if he asked for custody of the child hisself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Iowa rights about one parent voluntarily signing over their rights [ 0 Answers ]

I'm a single mother can my child's father just sign over his rights if I do not want him to and do not have someone to adopt our child in Iowa?

Parental rights of birth mother after step parent adoption [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I have been going through a really tough time with our 11 year old son (I legally adopted my stepson). We have been dealing with behavioral issues for years now and they just seem to be getting worse as he gets older. My husband and I have been together for 10 years so our son was a...

If child receives SSI for disabled parent does the parent have rights to visitation? [ 2 Answers ]

Just found out my sons father gets SSI. Can my son draw SSI also. Father lives out of state and as had little contact with my son, if I draw SSI for him will the father have visitation rights, rights to have his last name changed ?

Rights for unmarried parent when the other parent wants to move out of state. [ 4 Answers ]

Hello. I am worried about my grandson. His mother is thinking about moving to WYOMING! My son and she are not married and I would like to know what his rights are. Can she just pick up and move? Can we as grandparents so anything to prevent her from moving somewhere that we cannot see our...

Can a minor birth mother's parents relinquish rights to the birth father? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, Here's the situation: the soon-to-be birth mother is 16, still living with her parents and attending school. The birth father is 18, still lives with his parents but has a job and is generally responsible. The parents of the birth mother want her to put the baby up for adoption and move on...

View more questions Search