Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deepaknitdgp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2013, 10:21 PM
    I am filing f843 for withheld medicare & social security taxes. What should I write I
    I am filing Form 843 for withheld medicare & social security taxes( for 2012) as my employer has asked me to file the claim with IRS.

What should I write in:

1) Line 3: Type of tax or fee?
    Should I write employment or income?
    While some people say employment but in this article it says income.

2) Do I need to fill 5a & 5b?
    If yes what should be the option?

Options for 5a:

1)Interest was assessed as a result of IRS errors or delays.
    2)A penalty or addition to tax was the result of erroneous written advice from the IRS.
    3)Reasonable cause or other reason allowed under the law (other than erroneous written advice) can be shown for not assessing a penalty or addition to tax.

5b : Date(s) of payment(s) ___________________________

3) Line 6 : Original return :

What should I write here: 941 or 1040 NR-EZ

And if I am not wrong I have to send these documents with form 843:
    1) copy of my Passport showing F1 visa
    2) Copy of my I-94
    3) Copy of my W2
    4) Form 8316

Please tell me if I am missing anything.

Thank you very much in advance for your help
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 12, 2013, 02:02 AM
    Read about filing Form 843: Your U.S. Tax Return: Social Security and Medicare (FICA) Taxes for Non-resident Exempt Individual

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Social Security & Medicare Taxes [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I was deducted social security and Medicare taxes by my employer in the year 2008 when I was in OPT under student Visa (F1) status. Since October I am in H1-B Status. During OPT period, I was not supposed to have been taxed the SS and Medicare taxes. I talked to IRS and they told me...

How to Claim Social Security taxes & medicare taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I worked on my CPT and OPT from July 2006 to June 2008 and paid Social Security taxes & medicare taxes, how can I claim them back? Thank you.

Not withheld medicare and social security taxes- who is responsible? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I got a letter today from my employer (supposedly an investment firm!! ) stating that they had neglected to withhold social security and medicare tax starting from 2005 till end of 2007. They are now asking me to pay them back a considerable amount of money. This is my first job, so I...

Social Security & Medicare Taxwes Wrongly Withheld [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a citizen of INDIA and I came to US in Aug '03 as a student with a F1 visa. I graduated in Dec '05 and had my OPT started from Jan '06. I got my job in March '06 and I converted my visa from F1 to H1 in Oct '06. So, I am assuming that I still fall under the radar of being exempt...

Social Security & Medicare Taxes Withheld Wrongly [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question about getting the refund for Soc Sec & Medicare Taxes which was wrongly withheld. I joined my company in Apr 2006 when I was in OPT and I converted my F1 to H1 in Oct 2006. My company or myself wasn't aware that employees who were in OPT were exempt from paying these two...

View more questions Search