Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KINGROWLAND1217 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2013, 11:18 AM
    1996 toyota camry shuts off
    My 1996 toyota camry 2.4l just shut off when I was at a traffic light, went to accelerate and it just shut off,it sputtered for a brief second. It cranks and cranks now but won't start I had half a tank of gas. I just replaced plugs,wires,dist. Cap+rotor, and about a week ago just had my fuel pump replaced due to a similar problem.wondering if it's the new pump or a distributor,the intake hose is slightly torn but I don't know if that would make it shut off. Id appreciate some feedback, my cars on the side of the road
    MUHAIMEN Posts: 44, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2013, 11:34 AM
    If it shut off alone it may be the timing belt. Have you change the belt recently? The timing belt must be change as per the manual supplied by the agent. Also you can try to check the fuses if it is electronic system.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Apr 10, 2013, 11:46 AM
    You can't guess. You need to determine if it is getting fuel... is it getting spark... is the timing belt OK.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2013, 06:42 AM
    Ignition coil. Most likely you'll find a heat crack across the face of it. Replace it regardless. Use toyota part.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2013, 06:59 AM
    Check for spark. If none or weak, replace the coil. Should the problem persist, replace the Ignition Control Module (ICM).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1994 toyota camry shuts off while driving but can restart fine after a few minutes [ 7 Answers ]

My car will die when I stop at a light or drive slowly for less than a mile without any warning. The battery discharge light, the engine check, the oil pressure and the back door light will then be on. If I immediately try to restart, it won't work. However, if I wait a few minutes, restart again,...

96 toyota camry shuts off while driving CHANGED iac valve distributer cap [ 1 Answers ]

My 96 toyota camry shuts off when I drive sometimes and sometimes won't start back up for 15 min I changed the distributer cap gave it a tune up and put a new iac valve and cleaned the throttle body it still does it what can still be the problem?

Toyota camry 1996 engine shut off while driving [ 10 Answers ]

My 1996 toyota camry's engine shut off on me twice already now while driving. Does any one have any idea what could be wrong. The milage is about 160,000. 2.4 liter engine.

Replacing the interior door handle to my 1996 toyota camry [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone out there tell me how to replace the interior door handle to my 1996 toyota camry. Is this something I can do myself or should I take it in to the dealer. I am fairly handy but need to know if I have to remove the door panel. It is the drivers door handle. I would appreciate any help....

1996 toyota camry [ 2 Answers ]

I need to change the bulb in the left tail light of my 1996 Toyota camry. Can someone help me out with this, I do not have a manual and am sure it is very easy. Thanks

View more questions Search