Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kevin26 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2010, 07:05 PM
    Pretty funny. Before I found all these posts here, I just went through that whole shebang myself this afternoon because our diverter broke. Guess what I ended up using to pull it out - yep, a 1/4" lag bolt... Pretty funny.

My problem is that our hard water seems to have built up deposits in the diverter valve body. The new diverter doesn't want to fit in. Tried using a rolled up piece of Scotchbrite to clean it out, but not good enough. So tomorrow I'm going to get a small bore brass cylindrical wire brush on a drill and ream it out.

Anyone have any suggestions to keep this from happening again - short of a whole house water softening system?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 31, 2010, 05:58 AM
    Hi Kevin...

Good for you on the lag bolt... only thing that works!

Use wire brush if you want and then pulse the water on to clear the diverter area of any sediment/debris left over and then spread a little plumber's grease or plumber's silicone grease onto the oring of the new diverter spindle and it should help to install the new diverter. You may have to use a blunt tool on the end of the diverter spindle to push it past the oring, but it will go. Use of the grease willl also aid in diverter spindle removal when needed in the future... ;)

No suggestions on the hard water. Hard water will cause issues with lots of stuff. Best bet is to pick up an extra diverter spindle in case you need it down the road... they cost about $8.00.

MARK
    kevin26 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2010, 02:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    Hi Kevin...

Good for you on the lag bolt...only thing that works!

Use wire brush if you want and then pulse the water on to clear the diverter area of any sediment/debris left over and then spread a little plumber's grease or plumber's silicone grease onto the oring of the new diverter spindle and it should help to install the new diverter. You may have to use a blunt tool on the end of the diverter spindle to push it past the oring, but it will go. Use of the grease willl also aid in diverter spindle removal when needed in the future...;)

No suggestions on the hard water. Hard water will cause issues with lots of stuff. Best bet is to pick up an extra diverter spindle in case you need it down the road...they cost about $8.00.

MARK
    Thanks Mark. Great advice. I put plumbers grease on all faucet seat threads, etc. whenever I assemble them. Our hard water does a great job of chewing up faucets, pipes, etc... I usually stock spare parts for valve seats, Delta faucet balls and springs, etc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Symmons temptrol valve on shower/tub [ 5 Answers ]

I can only get hot water from this brand new valve. Yhe only way to get cooler water is to reduce the valve to a point where I get very low flow. Increasing the flow to a satisfactory flow only gives hot water. The water coming in is at 130 degrees F. I can not change the temp of the water coming...

Symmons shower valve problem [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I put a new shower dial and handle kit on. When removing the old handle the stem snapped. It is a symmons. I went to the plumbing store and got a new one. I put it in and now have no hot water or so little it feels cold. This may sound dumb but my hot water flow in all sinks is low pressure...

Temptrol shower valve leaking from diverter [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1985 vintage Temptrol shower valve, model A, that is leaking from diverter. When I turn the handle I get a burst of water from the hole where the diverter handle plugs in. I have a parts breakdown list but it looks like a newer model. Can mine be repaired? Thanks

Symmons Temptrol Shower/Tub Handle - [ 1 Answers ]

I printed off the internet the part breakdwon to my tub/shower one-dial Symmons Temtrol kit as I am trying to stop a slow leak out oif the tub faucet. I removed the screw and cap - and I can't get the handle off - is it hyst suppoosed to pull off once the screw is removed? That is how the...

View more questions Search