Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sharonbender Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2013, 11:10 PM
    Social security-widows pension
    What is the age limit to apply- since it will take a long time to go through govt. thanks-sharon
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 10, 2013, 05:43 AM
    Not sure whether you're asking for the earliest age or the latest age. You should plan on applying for benefits about three months ahead of when you want the benefits to start. The earliest you can submit an application is at age 61 years and 9 months, for benefits to start at age 62, but if you do so the benefit amount is reduced compared to benefits you would earn if you apply at your full retirement age. The latest you should apply is age 70 - it makes no sense to wait longer than that because at that age your beneit payment per month is maxed it and won't increase if you wait longer.

EDIT - I just realized your post was titled "widows benefit." A surviving spouse may be eligible to collect benefits starting as early as age 60, but again at a reduced rate compared to if you wait until later. If this is what you are interested in doing you can apply at age 59 years and 9 months, for benefits to start when you turn 60.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Social security/widows pension? [ 11 Answers ]

Can I receive social security from my deceased husband,I am only 54 years old

Social Security Widows Pension [ 7 Answers ]

If you remarry can you still collect your Social Security Widows pension?

Social security widows pension [ 7 Answers ]

I am 48 with no children and my husband just passed away on Sunday 1/3/10, am I entitled to widowers pension payments?

Widows pension & social security [ 5 Answers ]

I am a widow age 48, my husband age 55 suddenly died. He has paid he full amount towards Social security. I have two children, age 17 and 13. Am I entitled to his Social Security benefit as well as benefits for the two children? I am currently employed as a physical therapist.

Social security widows benefits [ 1 Answers ]

My neighboor Alice is a 62 years old housewife that never worked. Her husband is 74 and receives $1,400 net social security income. If he dies, I guess she would receive only half of that amount. Some have said the benefit at age 60 would be reduced by 28.5% Probably take home in the...

View more questions Search