Apr 9, 2013, 03:05 AM
    The Falkland "issue"
    Better to discuss this here..
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 9, 2013, 03:08 AM
    Para hit the nail on the head here:
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    big difference Tom the Falklands were in Argentine hands for a relatively short time and actually in spanish not Argentine hands so their claim is false, whereas Taiwan was part of China for centuries and became the home of a defeated nationalist government which once ruled China. as I said proximity, 400 miles?, doesn't confer soveriegnty it isn't like they are offshore. Precident, Madagascar is a soveriegn nation. It's like saying Greenland belongs to Canada
    The Argie claim is "inheritance" from Spain, so not even wholly valid..
    BossMan

Apr 9, 2013, 03:10 AM
    And this is a big kick in the pants as well: BBC News - Falklands referendum: Voters choose to remain UK territory

Guess who refuses to even acknowledge this fact or their right of self determination.;)
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2013, 04:12 AM
    I don't dispute the validity of the Brit claim . The fact that the population of the islands overwhelming confirmed their loyalty to England cements it. Clete argued that the war was not decisive . I think it definitely settled the issue . It has been 30 years without any other such attempt (twice as long as the peace after Versailles ) . Also ,the military junta was ousted in Argentina as a direct result of the war. They have lived under a democratic form of government since. So ;I would argue that the Falklands War resulted in regime change .
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2013, 05:29 AM
    Curly with all due respect.. "Other members discussions " is the place where discussions go to die.
    BossMan

Apr 9, 2013, 12:26 PM
    Good point Tom, so I moved it ;)
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2013, 03:29 PM
    Well perhaps this deserves its own thread but we were really discussing the impact of Thatcher and my contention was that even though Britain won a limited conflict, the outcome was not decisive enough for Argentina to accept the outcome. Perhaps it needs a UN resolution creating a new state
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2013, 03:41 PM
    The UN?? Uhhhhhuhh . Regime change to a democracy that has lasted 30 year isn't decisive enough ? Yes there are some in Argentina that will demagogue the issue in times of economic down turn. But it's not likely that Argentina will challenge Brit sovereignty of the islands again... at least I hope not ;not sure that the current government has the testicular fortitude of Maggie.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2013, 03:46 PM
    There is much at stake in resources, north sea oil transformed the British economy and Falklands oil will keep the flow going and who knows we may see migration to the south Atlantic and a new nation growing. If you are hardy enough to live in parts of Britain, you are hardy enough to live in the Falklands

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lyrics "now the rain." " I was watching for the people"... "started to pray"... [ 1 Answers ]

This was a song that used to play on 'western music' in early 90's. It was sung by a male with a chorus... can someone help me please...

"plumber grade" vs "big box" vs "online" fixtures... [ 5 Answers ]

I have heard/read that there is a difference in the part quality, etc when purchasing faucets and plumbing parts from a showroom vs big box retailers vs online. Even if they are the same manufacturer part number? Are the big box and online parts less durable/made of cheaper components that the...

Please convert "Evolution", "Transformation", "Phoenix" in Sanskrit [ 0 Answers ]

Please convert 1. "Evolution", 2."Transformation", 3."Phoenix" in Sanskrit God bless - this will be used for a tattoo

Collector's Guild LTD, NY- "original etching" "Pour Roby" Picasso "Star Scene" J Moro [ 0 Answers ]

Both pictures have stickers on the back stating with a "certification seal" that the Picasso is a original etching and the Joan Miro is a lithograph. Moro looks real to me but I can't take the frames off to feel if the paint is real or maybe I don't know what a lithograph should feel like just a...

"Form" placed in "Microsoft Access" can be accessed from a "Button" in "VB.Net" App [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, Actually, I'm not very well in programming but a task is assigned to me related to .Net. Basically, there is a database in Microsoft Access. I have made forms in it which are based on queries to retrieve required results. I have also made graph of it. Now, I have to merge this...

View more questions Search