Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vks64 Posts: 59, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2013, 10:42 PM
    Convert time into decimals in excel worksheet
    Sir

How to convert the time factor into decimals in the excel sheet?
    Please help me with a formula for that

For example

When the Time duration is 1:30:00 ( Time is 1 hour,30 minutes and 0 seconds and not clock time), it has to be converted as 90 minutes Or 1.30 hours and shown either as 90.00(in minutes) or 1.30 (in hours) in excel sheet!

Whether the conversion formula will also take care of the seconds factor available in the above time format?
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Apr 6, 2013, 07:13 AM
    1:30:00 hours converts to 1.5 in decimal format, not 1.3.

Time is a fraction of 1. Hours represent 24 pieces of the number 1 in decimal values. So to take a time value and convert to decimal value, you need only multiple it by 24 and change the FORMAT of that cell to decimal.

=A1*24
    vks64 Posts: 59, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2013, 08:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JBeaucaire View Post
    1:30:00 hours converts to 1.5 in decimal format, not 1.3.

Time is a fraction of 1. Hours represent 24 pieces of the number 1 in decimal values. So to take a time value and convert to decimal value, you need only multiple it by 24 and change the FORMAT of that cell to decimal.

=A1*24
    Thank You Sir!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Preparing an accounting worksheet using excel [ 1 Answers ]

Prepare work sheet showing trial balance, adjustments, adjusted trial balance, income and balance sheet.

Excel: Linking from one worksheet to another [ 8 Answers ]

I'd like to link from a cell in one worksheet to a LINE in another. If that doesn't make sense, I've got a member list of people with address, phone, etc. For folk that have not renewed this year, I want to have a separate worksheet that documents my contact efforts... so to link from the...

Gridlines for MS Excel Worksheet [ 1 Answers ]

Hi: I have installed MS Excel 2000 and MS Excel 2003 on my two emachines computers with Windows XP. Both versions of Excel are perfect on one computer, but they are not on the other one. On my second computer, Excel worksheets of both versions never have gridlines. The sheets or tables look...

Microsoft Excel 2003 Worksheet Problem [ 1 Answers ]

Hi: Would you please help me solve the problem I am having! This is the problem: I have installed MS Office 2003 on my two home computers. Everything is OK on one computer, but MS Excel 2003 is a problem on another computer. When I open a new workbook, I always get a blank worksheet that has...

View more questions Search