Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zyxwvut Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2013, 10:59 AM
    I'm nervous
    I'm 16 and I'm sexually active. As far as I know there's nothing wrong with me, no pain or bleeding, I'm just going to the gynecologist for birth control. I'm really worried that the doctor will tell my mom that I am having sex. I just want to know if the doctor is able to tell my mom even though I ask him/her not to.
    icanfixit Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Apr 5, 2013, 11:03 AM
    In life it's a good rule of thumb that you should never do anything that you would be ashamed to tell your friends and family. That being said no your doctor won't tell your parents especially if you ask for privacy and to not have your mom in the room.

PS... Your mom probably already knows, parents are smarter than you may think...
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2013, 11:06 AM
    At such a young age, you will become pregnant whether you want to or not. You are not responsible enough to be having sex all the time at 16. You are going to "mess up" and be pregnant. How will you handle that with your family. You going to work with a baby? IF you can find work.

Apr 5, 2013, 11:12 AM
    She doesn't know. I asked for the birth control so I would get pregnant. I told her I wanted it to regulate my period. And she's all for it. I've been researching the minor consent laws in Georgia, and to me, minor to doctor to parent laws contradict themselves.
    If I'm not sure that the doctor will respect my privacy I will not seek his/her help.
    icanfixit Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Apr 5, 2013, 11:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by zyxwvut View Post
    She doesn't know. I asked for the birth control so i would get pregnant. I told her I wanted it to regulate my period. And she's all for it. I've been researching the minor consent laws in georgia, and to me, minor to doctor to parent laws contradict themselves.
    If I'm not sure that the doctor will respect my privacy I will not seek his/her help.
    Well your at a point now where your just going to have to ride this bad boy out I seriously doubt that your doctor will be out for blood and try and get you in trouble they know its not their place to interfere with your personal lives although I do believe that they will talk to you privately about the risk and dangers that you are treading into which I believe you should really think about.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 5, 2013, 12:03 PM
    As far as I know, the only time a doctor can disclose medical info to your parents, is if it's a life or death situation and immediate medical care is needed, or you've agreed to allow your parents access to your medical files.

I know that when I went on the pill at 17 my doctor could not legally disclose to my parents that I was sexually active. Of course I live in Canada, so the laws here may be different.

Do you know what the legal age for sexual consent is where you live? In most states it's 16. I can't imagine that they'd make a law stating that you're legal to consent to sex at 16 but have no rights to privacy when purchasing birth control.

Just my opinion, I haven't researched the law, so I really can't say that my opinion is 100% correct in regards to your legal rights.
    Pets Expert

Apr 5, 2013, 12:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg View Post
    At such a young age, you will become pregnant whether you want to or not. You are not responsible enough to be having sex all the time at 16. You are going to "mess up" and be pregnant. How will you handle that with your family. You going to work with a baby? IF you can find work.
    Fred, while I do agree that a 16 year old is not capable of handling the consequences of sex, the sad fact is that in most States the legal age of consent is 16.

The OP didn't ask for our opinion about whether she should be having sex, she asked about getting the pill and whether the doctor can tell her mother that she's sexually active.

Your post didn't even address the actual question.

Apr 5, 2013, 01:26 PM
    Would it just be easier if I don't tell the doctor I am sexually active? I know lying is bad. And I do know that the age of consent is 16. I'm just too afraid of my mom finding out and all hell breaking loose.
    Pets Expert

Apr 5, 2013, 02:09 PM
    Would it just be easier if I don't tell the doctor I am sexually active?? I know lying is bad. And I do know that the age of consent is 16. I'm just too afraid of my mom finding out and all hell breaking loose.
    It's never a good idea to lie to your doctor.

When you go in ask him whether he's legally allowed to disclose anything you tell him in confidence.

Apr 5, 2013, 03:19 PM
    Okay, thank you for you're help (:
    Pets Expert

Apr 5, 2013, 03:29 PM
    Okay, thank you for you're help (:
    You're welcome. If you have any more questions, just ask, that's what we're here for. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am very nervous [ 1 Answers ]

Hello doctor, I am very nervous. I had sex (protected with no problems) about a week and a half ago and 2 or 3 days after my breasts started hurting. I am suppose to start my period in a few days. I am very nervous about being pregnant. Is it possible to have symptoms this early on? I am always...

I think I may just be nervous. [ 1 Answers ]

I had a upper wisdom tooth on the letf side removed on tuseday. I believe it has clotted in the socket but there is a mild bit if discomfort at the extraction site. I have rinsed with warm salt water very gently. Should I be worried about the discomfort?

Help Please, I am nervous [ 4 Answers ]

Okay I have a problem. I haven't had sex but I have participated in other sexual activities. And my vagina is very sore. I don't know what it is. It started hurting about 2 days ago. But there is no lump or anything noticeable to describe. It just hurts when I participate in sexual activities...

Very Nervous [ 5 Answers ]

Hello I am 18 I am male. Hello when it comes down to getting a girlfriend I'm very nervous and I just push it aside but I don't want to push it aside anymore. But its very hard to gain the confidence to talk to a girl you like and maybe want to date. Has anybody got any suggestions on this?...

How do I get him to not be nervous? [ 1 Answers ]

I know this boy that has actually told me that he likes me and i told him that I like him back. He really likes to talk to me and I like to talk to him. But, he gets pretty nervous when he talks to me and stutters making it difficult to talk to him back. I really would like an answer because I...

View more questions Search