Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    freeindede Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2013, 06:08 AM
    WHERE IS THAT LEAK? Toilet fills until tank overflows
    Hi,

After replacing my furnace/air conditioner last week and then having the plumber in to repair the water leak in the main line under the house, I can't pay someone to come fix this, too!

A couple of hours after the plumber got the main line fixed (and therefore, I'm sure, increased the water pressure throughout the house), my toilet started to run on.

My first reaction was to replace the fill valve assembly. My neighbor helped me with that and it seems to be installed correctly. It didn't fix the problem.

I've put dye in the tank--it didn't leech into the bowl.
    There's no water leaking around the pipes or underside of the tank.
    But once the toilet stops flushing and the tank looks full, a soft "shhhhhhhhh" sound continues.
    If I lift the float valve as high as it will go, the "shhhhhhh" continues.
    I've turned the adjustment rod (counter-clockwise) repeatedly with no effect.

And that "shhhhh" makes the water level go up and up until it leaks out by the flush lever.

I can keep turning the water off at the shutoff, but that's getting old.

WHERE IS THAT LEAK?
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2013, 06:24 AM
    If you lift the float valve as "high" as it will go?
    Try pushing, or "screwing" the float valve down toward the bottom of the tank, which should shut off the water much sooner. If it doesn't shut it off sooner, your new valve assembly might be bad. That's the only idea I can think of. I am 71, been repairing toilets' valves for a long time. Good luck.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 5, 2013, 08:14 AM
    Hi Freeindede

Yeah, there is some sediment that got caught up under the washer of the new fill valve. You'll need to shut off the water suply and remove the fill valve top and washer assembly (see video) and clean the washer to get this fixed up. Watch the video... should help you out!

You should also consider cutting the tube in the center of the tank (called the overflow tube) down to a height BELOW the toilet handle. The overflow tube should be cut to that height so water can drain down it when needed and not up and out the toilet as it is doing in your case.

Care to discuss more? Let us know, OK?

Mark
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 5, 2013, 08:53 AM
    If your ballcock's like the one on the right then shut the water off at the stop and remove the three screws on the top. Lift the float and washer assembly up and away, pry the washer and turn it over, seating it in firmly. Now place a pan over the top and turn the water on for a few seconds to flush out the supply. Reassemble and test, As Mark suggested, if the white overflow tube's higher then the handle cut it back to a inch below, good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

freeindede Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2013, 05:19 PM
    Thanks guys!

When I took it out, there was a piece of grit on the washer. It SEEMS to be fixed now.

(Of course it started filling while I was asleep TWICE before I replaced the valve... I'm just paranoid right now.)

I'll leave the water supply turned on tonight, with towels underneath just in case, and see if it's OK in the morning!

(You're right, the overflow tube should be cut lower. But I have no idea what to use to cut thin, hard plastic?)
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 5, 2013, 05:31 PM
    Purchase a new hack saw blade only (break in half and tape one end with any tape and then cut pipe)... ;) Wear goggles.

Could also purchase a mini hacksaw with blade... works best!
    Attached Images

hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Apr 5, 2013, 05:55 PM
    I like to use a coping saw. You can turn the blade side ways and the teeth are very fine. This one cost $7.

Hold the top of the overflow tube while you cut, they can become brittle and break after a number of years.
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet Tank Fills Up With Too Much Water [ 34 Answers ]

The tank of my toilet fills up with too much water then leaks out. I do not know much about toilets so I have been looking up solutions online but I haven't really found anything helpful. Does anyone know what causes this and/or could please tell me how to fix it ?

Toilet drains twice while tank fills up [ 1 Answers ]

The toilet bowl fills and drains twice while the tank is filling up after one pull

Toilet tank overflows [ 3 Answers ]

How do I fix a toilet tank that overflows when you flush the toilet

My toilet Tank Overflows [ 3 Answers ]

When I flush my toilet the tank fills up and overflows.

View more questions Search