Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    indianguy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2007, 09:49 PM
    Non-Resident Alien taxes on profits from shares/dividends/interest
    Hi,

I am in the process of filing my taxes for 2006 as a non-resident alien, since I was on OPT/F-1 visa for most of 2006. Towards the end of 2006, I sold some shares of a US company that I had been holding since before I came to the US. I also earned some dividends on that share. Additinally, I have earned some interest on my savings accounts in a credit union where I have two savings accounts. Am I liable to pay taxes on all these? FYI, I started working in a US company from July and am still working there.

Som
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 23, 2007, 10:06 AM
    Som:

You ARE liable for capital gains taxes on the stocks you sold.

The interest from the credit union is tax exempt for those who are filing a non-resident alien tax return, which is the return you should file.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1st year as a resident alien under L1 visa - Foreign Income / Medicare Taxes [ 11 Answers ]

Hello, We arrived together with my wife and my son March 1st 2006 on a L-1 visa (L-2 for my wife and my son). Before this date, we were resident of France. Our stay in the US could be from 1 to 3 years (could end this year or next year). After that, we will be again resident of France. Our stay...

Tax-Resident Alien or non-resident Alien [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I need to know if I need to file my tax returns as resident alient or non resident. - I am on H1B visa (married and wife is on H4). Came to US in Aug 2006 - I was in US in 2005 (280 days) and in 2004 (240days). As per the IRS I pass the present test of 183 days in the past 3 years. -...

H1 (Resident Alien) and H4 (NR Alien) joint tax problem [ 7 Answers ]

I have been in the US since 2003 and have filed as a NON-Resident Alien for the tax year 2005 (I was a student). My H1B started Jan 1, 2006 and I got married on Aug 28th 2006. My wife joined me on my way back on a H4 visa. I know that we can both file as a Resident Aliens. 1. Is our STD...

Resident alien or dual status alien [ 3 Answers ]

This topic has been heavily discussed, but the concept is still not clear. I have been on H1 since January 15, 2005 (was on F1/OPT before that). I received a pay-check (approx. $1500) in those 14 days on 2005 that I was on F1 status. Since "I pass the substantial presence test for 2005, I am...

Capital Gains Taxes for an indian non resident alien [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I wanted to find out if I am liable for capital gains taxes on my primary home that I plan to sell. It is the very first house that I have bought. I am an indian citizen and on F-1 visa. India does have a tax treaty with US but I am not sure what the IRS says with respect to capital gains. Can...

View more questions Search