Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ojb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2013, 10:39 AM
    Plumbing Questions
    Im trying to remodel a bath and add a shower I can everything I think but my main concern is what brand of drain is best for concrete and how to set it in concrete also I need either a liner or something put down before tile what is best and how to install. IM NOT Completely STUPID SO I CAN Probably UNDERSTAND YOUR ANAWERS THANK YOU
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2013, 01:38 PM
    Rather than us trying to walk you through everything, suggest you Google the installation process. You will find You tube videos. In essence you will use an Oatey or similar drain, a vinyl pan liner, slope the floor to the drain and then tile. Harder than you may think, that's why I suggest videos.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 4, 2013, 05:45 PM
    I have reservations about just how stupid or not stupid you may or may not be. YOU ARE WELCOME. Ha, okay enough of my lame humor. There are a couple guys here that may be able to help you along with your project. Hope they pop in with some advice. If not, do as ma0641 says and YouTube it. Or better yet, hire out the work. From what I hear on the streets, all this stuff is extremely simple, straight forward, and can be done by anybody that wants to do it. I just wonder why more people don't do it themselves?

PS. Has anybody come up with a sarcasm font yet?
    scott53715 Posts: 165, Reputation: 10

Apr 4, 2013, 09:38 PM
    Well, after you cut away the concrete floor, properly add an 1 1/2" pipe coming out of the gravel you need the pipe to give and the most popular drain I know of is Oatey which uses a rubber donut over your new pipe. Using a fiberglass shower pan will give you proper pitch to the drain. It is easier to do than trying to make your own base. This is a hard job, that takes some equipment, determination and is probably why most are willing to pay lots of cash to a contractor to get it done.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 5, 2013, 02:44 PM
    The other experts gave you the skinny on the drain. Don't put anything less then 2" under the slab. This may help. Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plumbing questions [ 1 Answers ]

I've been a do-it-yourself kind of guy for home repairs for over 30 years. Two days a go I replaced a leaky pressure tank. The removal and installation went as expected, but I have an issue I can't figure out. The well pump kicks on much more frequently to keep the tank pressurized than before...

Plumbing questions [ 0 Answers ]

Overflow from temperature and pressure valve I have replaced the element and thermostat on my geyser but whenever I use the hot water tap water drips from the overflow pipe coming from T & P valve this lasts for 30 to 45mins .I have an 150litre pressure geyser can you help

Plumbing questions [ 6 Answers ]

Leaky shower head has hole in the hose. Placed on stall floor. Few weeks later and I now hear running water behind stall. Faucet pipes and arm are warm to the touch with no water running. Live in Mobile home set on ground. No way to see underneath.Help Please Don't know what to do or try.

Plumbing questions [ 4 Answers ]

I can be anywhere in the house and hear a drip with an echo-tone to it. It's fairly rhythmic - it drips maybe every 15 minutes. The hot water heater floor is dry, the toilets and sinks aren't leaking. Any ideas?

Plumbing questions? [ 4 Answers ]

Which of the following types of copper pipe are common to plumbing work?

View more questions Search