Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2013, 09:02 AM
    "Locked" portable drive
    My nephew loaded some music from his computer onto a "stick" for me. I transferred it to my computer but cannot erase the "stick" because it is somehow protected.

He's with a band, and it's his music, so this is not a copyright issue.

Is it possible to somehow remove the "lock" on that stick or am I doomed to spend the rest of my life with several hours of his music on the "stick"?

(Sorry, I don't know the proper terms.)
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 4, 2013, 05:41 PM
    What happens when you try to "format" the stick ?

Have you checked the properties of the files? Are they write protected ?
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2013, 06:59 AM
    YES! Protected! I am able to erase everything on the stick except for a rather large "protected" file. I didn't know I could try to format the stick to get rid of it. It appears to be Eric Clapton albums (of all things). I have no idea why/how he copied them onto the stick, unless he was comparing his music to Clapton's.

As a big Clapton fan... well, anyway, yes, it's protected.
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 6, 2013, 07:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    YES! Protected! I am able to erase everything on the stick except for a rather large "protected" file. I didn't know I could try to format the stick to get rid of it. It appears to be Eric Clapton albums (of all things). I have no idea why/how he copied them onto the stick, unless he was comparing his music to Clapton's.

As a big Clapton fan ... well, anyway, yes, it's protected.
    What kind of stick is it? Does it have a name and size on it?

Some do have a tab to manually write protect it. If your not worried about that file/s. Then just format to start new.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 6, 2013, 08:01 AM
    Judy, you know these "sticks" are so easy to get at any store? Is there a reason for needing to get rid of this info to reuse the "stick?" Or would you consider buying a new one for $5?
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2013, 08:15 AM
    As I recall it was more than $5 - it's a PNY, 64GNB. All that was on it was the music; now all that is on it (I erased what I could) is Eric Clapton.

I'll try reformatting.

I figure why buy a new stick if I can use this "old" one.
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 6, 2013, 08:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    As I recall it was more than $5 - it's a PNY, 64GNB. All that was on it was the music; now all that is on it (I erased what I could) is Eric Clapton.

I'll try reformatting.

I figure why buy a new stick if I can use this "old" one.
    64 GB is a good sized one. Its worth keeping.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Collector's Guild LTD, NY- "original etching" "Pour Roby" Picasso "Star Scene" J Moro [ 0 Answers ]

Both pictures have stickers on the back stating with a "certification seal" that the Picasso is a original etching and the Joan Miro is a lithograph. Moro looks real to me but I can't take the frames off to feel if the paint is real or maybe I don't know what a lithograph should feel like just a...

"Form" placed in "Microsoft Access" can be accessed from a "Button" in "VB.Net" App [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, Actually, I'm not very well in programming but a task is assigned to me related to .Net. Basically, there is a database in Microsoft Access. I have made forms in it which are based on queries to retrieve required results. I have also made graph of it. Now, I have to merge this...

Making a portable dishwasher "permanent" [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, We've just moved into a house that previously had a washing machine right next to the kitchen sink. They decided to move that to the garage, though, and capped off the washing machine hookups. I am wondering if I can do the following: - Take off the cap from the cold water line, and add a...

Visionpro TH 8000 Totally "Locked up" [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Honeywell Vision Pro TH 8000. The batteries were changed, now the screen is LOCKED. NO buttons work. The display shows Tues at the top. At the bottom, 6 "buttons" the one on the far left marked, "done". The middle shows the year 2003 with up/down buttons next to it. At the top right,...

View more questions Search