Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2007, 07:52 PM
    Crock pot
    I'm about to cook a pot roast in my 6qt crock pot. It's call a "Crock Watcher". It has an auto function besides low and high. I lost the book on this and wondered if anyone was fimiliar with this pot, and if was OK if I left it on 'auto' overnight, then swith to low in the morning till dinner time.
    ATYOURSERVICE Posts: 246, Reputation: 13

Mar 21, 2007, 09:49 AM
    I don't have that crock pit, but for safety purposes I never leave ANYTHING cooking overnight. Ever. Safer to get up a little bit earlier and leave it on during the day.

Good luck.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Mar 21, 2007, 03:25 PM
    Well I chanced it and cooked it overnite. I set to low this AM and it's perfect. I'd do it again. The crock pot seems to be very safe to use when away from it.
    Thanks for your thoughts, atyourservice.
    Peaceout!
    ATYOURSERVICE Posts: 246, Reputation: 13

Mar 21, 2007, 04:11 PM
    Well, like any other appliance they are bound to fail eventually. It just don't want it to short and cause an electric fire. CHeck your fire insurance policy. The company will have a clause in their paperwork they will not cover damages or a maximum of damages. You agree to it when you purchase the product. Not trying to scare you or anything but most home fires are cause by faulty appliances:

Fire Is A Major Disaster (red cross wsite)

In 2004 (latest statics), fire killed more citizens of the United States than all other natural disasters combined. You might not know this because house fires are often called "silent disasters" since they rarely generate the same publicity as floods, hurricanes and earthquakes. However, in 2004, home fires resulted in about $9.8 billion in property damage.

In 2005, the Red Cross responded to more than 73,000 disasters--92% of which were fire-related. To the victims who've lost everything, a home fire is just as catastrophic as a major hurricane.

The Numbers
    The Causes of House Fires
    8 Things You MUST Teach Your Children To Survive a Fire
    The Numbers

Nearly 4000 Americans die each year in house fires and over 2000 are severely injured.
    In only 3 1/2 minutes, the heat from a house fire can reach over 1100 degrees Fahrenheit.
    About 80% of all civilian deaths from fire occur in the home.
    In rooms that are not even on fire the temperature can reach over 300 degrees; this is hot enough to melt plastic and kill the people in those rooms.
    The Factors Contributing to Fatalities

Fire produces gases and fumes that can make you sleepy, weak, and confused. You can't smell these fumes, so if you are asleep the smell won't wake you — but a smoke alarm will.
    Unlike fires in the movies, the smoke from a house fire can be so thick that your house would be completely dark in 4 minutes, even with all the lights on!
    The Causes of House Fires

Faulty appliances/wiring cause the greatest number of house fires.
    Heating devices such as heaters, wood stoves, and fireplaces, are another leading cause. Most often the fires start when something like furniture, boxes, or clothing placed too near the heat source overheats and ignites.
    Cigarettes are another leading cause of house fires. Most often the fires start when a cigarette was dropped on to furniture like beds, sofas, or chairs before bed. More than 50% of fires occur between .
    Children playing with fire cause many injuries and house fires every year.
    Two out of three people who die in house fires were asleep when the fire began.
    Smoke alarms increase the chances of surviving a house fire by 2 to 3 times.
    Always install a smoke alarm just outside the sleeping areas.
    Change the smoke alarm's battery once a year or when the alarm chirps. Never remove the battery from the smoke alarm without replacing it.
    8 Things You MUST Teach Your Children

What a smoke alarm sounds like: Some children run and hide when an alarm sounds a house-fire warning. Making and practicing a house fire escape plan helps them respond appropriately to the alarm.
    What firefighters looks like at a fire: Aquaint your children with the equipment a firefighter may be wearing/carrying. Air masks, the heavy breathing sounds they produce and axes can be frightening to children who may hide instead of respond to their calls.
    Escape routes: Always teach children two ways out of every room (i.e. window and door).
    Stay low during escape: Crawl as close to the floor as possible under smoke to a safe exit.
    Test the safety of their exit route: Use the back of the hand to test if a closed door is hot. If it is hot, use another way out.
    Where to meet after escape: Everyone must meet at a previously designated meeting place outside the home so that firefighters know that all persons are out of the house.
    How to call for help: Call 911 from a neighbor's home.
    Stay out: Never go back inside a burning home to get anything such as toys, clothes or pets.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How to mount a wall mount pot filler [ 3 Answers ]

I was thinking about installing a wall mounted pot filler in our kitchen. What type of fitting and mounting does this require. I am using ½” copper to a thread male. I will secure the pipe to the stud. Is this correct. How far out does the thread need to stick out of the wall.

Smoking Pot [ 20 Answers ]

My girlfriend recently tried pot and had a good experience . I am not into it and haven't tried it. She tells me that she enjoyed it and plans on doing it again soon. And would like me to try it , so I can see for myself that it is not that bad. What are your thoughts on Pot. Having not done it...

Sandblasting Pot [ 4 Answers ]

Is there anyone out there that can tell me about sandblasters? I need to know how you go about running something other than sand through one. Do they have different tips for say, sand, soda and cob? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pot filler information [ 2 Answers ]

I am installing a pot filler faucet in my new home. I have pex tubing for all water lines and have run a hot line for the pot filler. I have noticed that almost all of the faucets call for cold water only and I am wondering why?:confused: Am I going to run into a problem with this? Can anyone...

Pot filler height. [ 0 Answers ]

How high should the pot filler faucet be above the stove.

View more questions Search