Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    champ2862 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2005, 04:27 PM
    Mercedes benz
    Hello
    Does anyone know how to free a starter motor on a W 124 Mercedes, with auto box.
    It seems the motor is stuck, as I have tried turning the ignition key, with the lights on, and they do not dim!
    Am I thinking correct ?
    It started first time this morning, I cleaned the screen of ice, switched off, returned about 30 minutes later, it would not turn over and start.
    I have charged the battery tonight, but it still will not turn over
    Can anyone help?
    Thank you
    Derek

See my reply, I forgot to move the shift stick back to PARK
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2005, 03:12 AM
    I would probably bet its frozen or its either caught on the flywheel. I've gotten some loose with a nice blow with a hammer. Now another thing it could be, not sure of the wiring but a cable is loose or either shorted out.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2005, 06:57 AM
    I am not quite sure what you mean by the motor being stuck. If you turn to start, and nothing happens, the lights don't even dim, it sounds like an electrical fault. The battery has 2 heavy cables. Remove the negative one first, and clean its connections on both ends. Leaving the end off the battery do the same with the other. Never work on or around the hot wire without first removing the negative cable. Otherwise, one slip of the wrench makes sparks, shorts, burns, and worse. The far end is connected to the solenoid, either on the fender of directly mounted on the starter. Some of the ones on the starter are real solenoids, actually engaging the starter to the flywheel as well as connecting the battery to the starter. The solenoid has a third, smaller wire. When you turn the key to start, current flows to it which energizes the coil and closes the contacts between the battery cable and starter. Check to see if you are getting power to the terminal in the start position. If you are, and nothing happens, the solenoid may be bad. If the solenoid clicks, but the starter doesn't not run, the starter may be bad.

Check this and let me know what you find. Starting Tuesday night, I have been able to post to the board again.
    champ2862 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2005, 11:13 AM
    Hello everyone

You have now met the silliest person in the world!

The starter has not stuck or anything else,

EXCEPT I FORGOT TO MOVE THE AUTO SHIFT STICK BACK TO THE PARK POSITION.

Do I feel foolish

Sorry to have troubled everyone

Derek
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2005, 12:20 PM
    No, the truly silly are those that don't admit their mistakes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search