Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    struffy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2013, 09:20 AM
    If you file separately on federal return, can you file joint on state return
    We filed separate on federal return . Question is can we file joint on our state return or not >?
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Apr 2, 2013, 09:49 AM
    I don't believe so because your state return is largely based on the answers in your federal return. To avoid being flagged for audit, I wouldn't attempt it.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 2, 2013, 04:12 PM
    It depends on the state. Most (but not all) states require you file exactly the way you file the federal return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Federal return Married FJ. Should we file State Returns in 2 states? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I live and work in New York. My husband is a student at a state school in Indiana. He is a resident of Indiana for tuition purposes. However, his permanent residence is in New York, with me. We're filing federal taxes MFJ. There's no confusion about my income in New York that makes up...

Do I have to file CA State return if I filed federal? [ 2 Answers ]

Do I have to File a California state return if I filed a federal return?

Can I file my federal and CA state return online? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I was in US from Feb 2006 to feb 2007 on L1 visa. So for the year 2007 I was in USA from Jan 1st 2007 to Feb 5th 2007. My question is can I file my federal and state return online as my stay was just for 1 month? Somebody told me that I need to be in US for more than 183 days in a...

Can I file my federal and CA state return online [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Can anyone help me on this please... Hi, I was in US from Feb 2006 to feb 2007 on L1 visa. So for the year 2007 I was in USA from Jan 1st 2007 to Feb 5th 2007. My question is can I file my federal and state return online as my stay was just for 1 month? Somebody told me that I need to...

Joint Tax Return or File separately? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H1-B visa since September 2005. I got married in November (21st) of 2007. Wife was on F-1 until October 31st 2007 and switched to H1-B on November 1st. How do I go about filing my federal tax return? Do I file as jointly or both of us file it married but separate. In the...

View more questions Search